Wifi shield - cool term connection settings

I have never been able to successfully connect to my new wifi sheild using FTDI and coolterm. I was wondering if someone could double check my settings.

Serial Port settings Serial Port: The wifi shield port Baud Rate: 57600 Databits: 8 Parity: 1 Stop bits: 1

Flow control: nothing checked (I've tried checking each option individually)

Terminal Enter Key Emulation: CR

I've experimented with different baud rates, flow control, terminal modes - no dice.

I've also double checked my FTDI cable to make sure I had it plugged in properly. :)

Any guidance would be appreciated.


Using the FTDI connection I wanted to try to debug another wifi shield issue.

I am using an Arduino compatible FTDI breakout board ( http://osepp.com/learning-centre/start-here/ftdi-breakout-board/ftdi-breakout-board-2/ ) instead of the FTDI cable but the result is the exact same. Similar to what Adam experienced, regardless of speed and the other serial settings, the wifi shield never responds.

BTW looking around in Github I think I found some code that appears to be relevant:

File : board_init.c ( https://github.com/arduino/wifishield/blob/master/firmware/wifiHD/src/board_init.c )

static void init_printk(void)
#ifndef NO_SERIAL
    const usart_options_t usart_options = {
        .baudrate = 57600,
        .charlength = 8,
        .paritytype = USART_NO_PARITY,
        .stopbits = USART_1_STOPBIT,
        .channelmode = USART_NORMAL_CHMODE
    usart_init_rs232(&CONFIG_CONSOLE_PORT, &usart_options, FPBA_HZ);
#endif /* NO_SERIAL */

I think this proves that your settings are correct. But it brings up the question if CONFIG_CONSOLE_PORT was defined when our firmware was built. I suspect that it was not... hence the no response behavior.

I don't know enough about the firmware build environment. Maybe someone more familiar could help us out.


Well, better late than never...I just came across an old Arduino WiFi shield and decided to give a whirl. After updating the firmware, it functioned properly, except that all I could get from the FTDI debug port was garbage characters. I was using an FTDI cable, which has always served me well, to connect with my PC. After much fruitless research and for the lack of any better idea, I replaced the FTDI cable with a SparkFun 5v FTDI Basic adapter. Problem solved....Yahoo! :)