WIFI-shield Questions

1. What is the maximum current usage on the WIFI-shield?
  2. Can i use it in Ad-hoc or Wifi-direct/p2p mode? I need to connect it to a PC without a Wireless-router.
  3. Can i attach an external antenna to it?

27 Giga-amps. You are talking about the Back-to-the-future-wifi-shield, right? If not, you might clarify.

1. Can i use it in Ad-hoc or Wifi-direct/p2p mode?

See previous comment.

1. Can i attach an external antenna to it?

Do you see a place to? See previous comment.

What kind of answer was that?

What do you want me to clarify??

I'm talking about the Arduino WIFI-Shield R3.

I need to know the approx current-usage in order to choose the right type of battery for my setup.

Also, i need to use an external antenna, if possible.

I want to connect the Shield to the PC, without the use of an Router, in adhoc mode.

Is it clear enough now?

1. Not sure about maximal amperage. No documentation. I have no means to measure that or worry about it in my projects.
  2. Not sure. There is no documentation on the shield's capability for those connection modes.
  3. Not sure. There seems to be no antenna connector. Do you see one on the photos?

PaulS is kidding, he is a expert about Arduino and help a lot of members at forum.

WIFI-shield has two big power hungry devices;

HDG104 WIFI chip

Current - Receiving 60mA
Current - Transmitting 15mA

AT32UC3A 32 bits CPU

Current - 37mA

maximum current usage on the WIFI-shield is ~100mA (at least).

1. Can i use it in Ad-hoc or Wifi-direct/p2p mode? I need to connect it to a PC without a Wireless-router.

I doubt it support Ad-hoc or Wifi-direct/p2p mode. Here is the link of firmware;-

1. Can i attach an external antenna to it?

at least from diagram it support.

I am not sure about my answer, if I were you , I will drop a line to Arduino team to ask support.

I need to know the approx current-usage in order to choose the right type of battery for my setup.

WIFI-shield might not be good candidate for this type application. by select right type of battery and wireless solution your system could last years, said 10 years.

What do you want me to clarify??

I'm talking about the Arduino WIFI-Shield R3.

That's what I wanted you to clarify. There are a lot of WiFi shields. Answers about the current requirement of my WiFi shield won't mean a thing unless you have the same shield. Your's was a mystery, so the answer I gave was guaranteed to be high enough to cover your shield (by a fair margin).