WiFi Shield won't work with other SPI slaves

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction with an issue I'm having connecting an SPI slave to an Arduino WiFi setup.

I've tried just using the most basic of examples, yet it still doesn't work. Whenever I have the slave connected to the WiFi shield via pin 12, MISO, then the main board can't detect the WiFi shield.

The setup I have is as follows

Arduino Uno as Master
Arduino WiFi Shield
Arduino Pro Mini as Slave

The Pro Mini slave works fine when I put pin 12 in but the WiFi cuts out and the WiFi works fine when pin 12 is out.

I would really appreciate and pointers as I think I've exhausted Google and this Forum, but expect there's something I'm missing!

The Pro Mini slave works fine when I put pin 12 in but the WiFi cuts out and the WiFi works fine when pin 12 is out.

Pin 12 in and out on which device? The slave should set the pin connected to the master’s MISO line to INPUT (hi-z) when the slave select for that slave device goes HIGH.

Looks like I worked it out - I was using the awesome tutorial here Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : SPI - Serial Peripheral Interface - for Arduino with the interrupt method.

What I hadn’t realised is that on the slave, I had to connect both the interrupt (pin 2) and the slave select (pin 10) to the slave select (pin 5) on the master. I had only connected the interrupt.