Wifi Tracking (bit of a brain fart...)

hi, apologies in advance! (always a good way to start!)

i would like to track mobiles (creep status set to maximum), and i think i can do this through wifi. most people with smart phones have them set to normally transmit / receive.

[why would you wan to do that you creep?]

well, promotional tracking is one usage. my brain fart says that if i have a square room, and 4 tables. each table has an item on it and i want to know which item people are most interested in looking at. near each table is a (ready for the trademarked name?!) wifi pinger.

in my head, the pinger sends a request / ping out every 10 seconds, and the phones that return a ping (yes / no doesn't matter, just the existence) and records the output. after a few hours, the unit with the most pings sends a clear message about how many pings it receives (length of time) and unique pings (individuals)

(see not soooo creepy!)

questions...!

can wifi ping, without interrupting peoples phones? not asking for handshakes, etc, but just to see if the ping is returned? can this return be identified individually? mac address / phone name etc? are there massive breaches of laws in this process?

anyway, thanks for listening to the brain fart!

I don't believe it will work with WiFi unless the phone has associated with the network (either because the person has manually selected that, or you have set up an unsecure WiFi and the person was foolish enough to configure their phone to associate with unsecure networks automatically).

I think Apple did something similar using BlueTooth LE with their iBeacons product.

AFIK you can't do this sort of stuff with standard, off the shelf wifi hardware.

And you want ping at all, unless the phone connects to your networks, which is unlikely.

There is commercial hardware used by shopping malls etc that monitors the emissions on wifi bands and analyses the data messages, but I suspect it costs $$$ and is not a hobbyist product

dammit... it would make an awesome alarm system! imagine, if someone did break into your house, a record of their mobile phone could be proof for incarceration if they were caught!

ahh.

It would be impossible to prove the phone in question was inside you house and not just someone passing by in the street at the same time, (unless your house was shielded from all radio waves entering from outside)

aye, but it would build up a picture of the incident. beyond reasonable doubt is the phrase they use!

kelvinmead: beyond reasonable doubt is the phrase they use!

I don't see how you would ever eliminate reasonable doubt given the approach you're suggesting - I don't think a DIY solution based on obscure communications technology would be taken seriously, let alone accepted as proof beyond reasonable doubt. Something providing recognisable video/pictures of the intruder would be far more useful IMO.

kelvinmead: aye, but it would build up a picture of the incident. beyond reasonable doubt is the phrase they use!

I doubt the judge would allow the evidence to be presented.

I think what you are trying to do is similar to what apple have planned as their answer to rfid tags, with longer range. Forget what its called.

Boardburner2:

kelvinmead: aye, but it would build up a picture of the incident. beyond reasonable doubt is the phrase they use!

I doubt the judge would allow the evidence to be presented.

I think what you are trying to do is similar to what apple have planned as their answer to rfid tags, with longer range. Forget what its called.

iSpy