WiFi without WiFi

I don't currently have WiFi, but would like to use it for serial data transfer between two Arduinos.

I want to transmit the data sent by an Accelerometer, Gyro and Compas. They each have 3 axis, so we are talking about 9 data-streams, consisting of very fast changing real numbers. I've done some research and it appears that BlueTooth is too slow for this, with max. rate of 2Mbits/sec.

So my next thought was to use WiFi, which is several times faster than any other wireless. Problem is I don't have WiFi router and wasn't really intending to send data to PC anyway. I would much prefer to send data to another Arduino, in a serial fashion, which is going to write it down to SD card.

So, question is, is it possible to somehow use WiFi just as a serial connection between two Arduinos? Which WiFis would be best for that?

I just want data transfer speed, I don't care getting it out on the web.

you can use esp8266 in AP (access point) mode.

but just to note, serial transfer can go 115200 baud reliably. sure you can go faster, at the risk of buffer overrun.

That is the equivalent of about 92-93 kbit/sec (10bits per character for a typical 8n1 serial connection). So why is 2mbit/sec not enough? I'm not sure what you mean by 9 data streams, but I think with proper coding, there is absolutely no reason why 2mbit/sec is too slow to transfer serial data.

If you have 9 DOF device, than you have 9 data streams. One stream for each axis and than one for each of 3 sensors.

ok, why does it matter? it is irrelevant. you are bound by the serial speed so you just need to make sure all your data can be sent out at serial speed. if serial speed is too slow, then you need to use another means.

thanks,

what other (wireless) means are available?

If you have 9 DOF device, than you have 9 data streams.

That is one way of looking at it. Another is that you have one data stream with 9 columns, which can be sent in a 1-line serial output statement.

jremington:
That is one way of looking at it. Another is that you have one data stream with 9 columns, which can be sent in a 1-line serial output statement.

A very good point. Thanks.

So, question is, is it possible to somehow use WiFi just as a serial connection between two Arduinos? Which WiFis would be best for that?

There maybe esp8266 boards that are setup to be serial modems.