Wii-Nunchuck mouse control

This probably isn't the most exciting or original project, but it's my first try at putting the Arduino to a practical purpose... well if playing games is in any way practical ;)

I've created an interface using the Arduino and some Python to use a Wii Nunchuck to control the mouse position and mouse buttons, which works fine under Windows. The intention was to then use this to control a game, but for whatever reason it won't work in the game. I'd be interested if anyone can offer any suggestions of a fix. I've documented it all and included source code on a page I'll link to from a reply as this is my first post!

Thanks...

Project description (sorry - lots of description (and the source code), so not terribly exciting to look at (except for the background image))

Great idea, I was planning to do this myself.

I’ll take a look when my new nunchuck arrives :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve done something similar, just without any Arduino. You can get the same, or better results using GlovePIE with the Wiimote, and it will work with games. Or OpenPIE, but I haven’t tried that one.

Maybe you can also use GlovePIE for the serial stream from the Arduino as well. Not that I know, I havent really coded much in GlovePIE. Just to test the PC with the Wiimote, which I haven’t done in a while.

I too found it a bit cumbersome for a mouse replacement (with my simple code at least).

Here is the code I made for the game Mass Effect. I never really got used to it, nothing really beats ye olde keyboard+mouse combination! But its fun to try nevertheless. No code for nunchuck here, as I only have the Wiimote.

// raron's simple wiimouse 0.06

// 2007.06.07 raron
// 2008.07.18 Quick rewrite for Mass Effect PC

// Usage:

// home singleclicked      = recenter the wiimote, use in combination with:
// home held down > 250 ms = set deadzone to equal the movement of the wiimote
// Up    = D
// Down  = A
// Left  = W
// Right = S
// Wiimote 1 = Q
// Wiimote 2 = E
// Wiimote A = Right mouse button
// Wiimote B = left mouse button

// A +Minus = Volume down
// A + Plus = Volume up


var.wiix = wiimote.gx
var.wiiy = wiimote.gy
var.wiiz = wiimote.gz

wiimote.leds = 0


// recenter it
if singleclicked(wiimote.Home) = true then
   var.xMin = var.wiix
   var.xMax = var.wiix
   var.yMin = var.wiiy
   var.yMax = var.wiiy
   var.zMin = var.wiiz
   var.zMax = var.wiiz
   wiimote.leds = 6
   wait 250 ms
   wiimote.leds = 0
end if

// define deadzone
if helddown(wiimote.home, 250 ms)= true then
   var.xd = wiimote.gx
   var.yd = wiimote.gy
   var.zd = wiimote.gz
   if var.xd < var.xMin then var.xMin = var.xd
   if var.xd > var.xMax then var.xMax = var.xd
   if var.yd < var.yMin then var.yMin = var.yd
   if var.yd > var.yMax then var.yMax = var.yd
   if var.zd < var.zMin then var.zMin = var.zd
   if var.zd > var.zMax then var.zMax = var.zd
   wiimote.leds = 9
endif

// Horizontal movement - PS! Swithced X-Y because of holding wiimote wheel-ish
var.wiiRight = var.wiiz - var.zMin
var.wiiLeft = var.wiiz - var.zMax
if var.wiiRight < 0 then mouse.DirectInputX = 0 - smooth(var.wiiRight)
if var.wiiLeft > 0 then mouse.DirectInputX = 0 - smooth(var.wiiLeft)

// Vertical movement
var.wiiDown = var.wiix - var.xMin
var.wiiUp = var.wiix - var.xMax
if var.wiiDown < 0 then mouse.DirectInputY = smooth(var.wiiDown)
if var.wiiUp > 0 then mouse.DirectInputY = smooth(var.wiiUp)


// Buttons
mouse.LeftButton = wiimote.B
mouse.RightButton = wiimote.A
if not wiimote.A then
  key.ctrl= wiimote.Plus
  key.Z=wiimote.Minus
endif
key.w = wiimote.Left
key.s = wiimote.Right
key.a = wiimote.Down
key.d = wiimote.Up
key.Q = wiimote.Two
key.E = wiimote.One

// Media stuff
if wiimote.A then
  volumeup = wiimote.Plus
  volumedown = wiimote.Minus
endif

Guess you didn't read my description in full... I've already completed a project with the Wiimote (though I used the wrj4P5 library in Processing) and wanted to try something different... specifically using Arduino. This was more of a learning exercise, so GlovePIE and a Wiimote would be missing the point. Also the Nunchuck is more appropriate for Lander - at least if I can get it working - and I'd rather avoid having to connect it via a remote...

Still - I hadn't considered looking at some of the Wiimote solutions out there (missing the obvious as usual ::) ). If I can find one that works with Lander then, assuming it's open source, I can see how they dealt with mouse control...