Will battery drain completely using LiPo Rider Pro?

Good day. I have been searching for an answer to the question: will the LiPo Rider Pro discharge completely and damage the battery?

I want to use the LiPro Rider Pro in several applications. One is for a UPS for a sensor array, the other is in a hand held metering project.

I am concerned that if left on the LiPo battery could be discharged to the point of being damaged. Will the LiPo Rider Pro "shut" the use of the attached battery down when it reaches some low threshold value? I hope it will.

Anyone with the answer and advice?

Thank you

Yes, it will "shut down the battery". Look at the datasheet for the CN3065 and search for "undervoltage lockout" (3.7V, typical).

If you want to be extra paranoid you should have no problem finding cells and batteries that have built-in battery protection circuits (BPC). They're quite cheap if you want to add them yourself.

Looking at the CN3065 data sheet there appears to be a constant resistor chain connection to the FB input so given time I would surmise the battery would be completely drained. But this is stated as being 3microamps so "given time" is measured in years. :)

jackrae: Looking at the CN3065 data sheet there appears to be a constant resistor chain connection to the FB input so given time I would surmise the battery would be completely drained. But this is stated as being 3microamps so "given time" is measured in years. :)

3 micoamps would discharge a 1000mAh LiPo battery in 50 years. This not an issue.

Yeh, I appreciate that but I only noticed the 3microamp text after submitting my original reply so it was a case of 'back-peddling'

Thank you very much for the replies. This is very helpful. I will also search out more information on batteries with the appropriate protection. Since you say this can also be added, I will research that ability as well.

Regards

Matadormac

I do some lipo tests with the Seeduino Stalke (current test setting with Stalker's v2.3)--it has also the CN3065 as charging and lipo managing IC. I have connected a 3.7 V lipo with 1.2 Ah from "Shenzhen 2U". I have no data sheet for the lipo but the reseller says "Battery includes a built in protection against over voltage, over current and minimum voltage".

I had expected that the CN3065 shuts down the lipo at around 3.7 V as pointed out in the datasheet. But now the voltage is dropping and dropping and has reached 3.49 V without any intervention of the CN3065's undervoltage lockout:

|500x214

Think the voltage is more or less correct because it has started wit around 4.2 V. I measure the voltage with a voltage divider and the Seeeduino itself and this code:

// battery voltage 
void getVoltage() {
  int batteryValue = analogRead(A7); // read battery as analog value
  float voltage = batteryValue * (1.1 / 1024) * (10 + 2) / 2;  // voltage divider
  dtostrf(voltage,5,2,voltageChar);  // write to char array 
}

I wonder: Is my voltage reading not correct or is the CN3065 not stopping at ~3.7 V? The rest of the sketch is sleeping most time, then reading a dozen of sensors and transmitting the values via radio.

Makes it any difference for the undervoltage lockout if a lipo is connected only or lipo plus solar panel?