Will Ethernet R3 Read buttons, control LED, Work Ethernet and store on SD-card

Idea for function of the control tower box

Scan a button array of 4x8, 4x16 or 4x24 buttons.
Receive button commands via Ethernet from computer or other Arduino Ethernet board.
Control array of 4x8, 4x16 or 4x24 LED to indicate button read.
Log button read and Arduino Uno response on to SD-card.
Send via radio link signal to Arduino Uno to turn on/off current.
Transmit LED status via Ethernet to remote computer or other Arduino Ethernet board.

Now my concern is - Will it be able to do it all ?
I need 5 pins to read the button array. Clock, data, latchRow, latchColum and readButton (using 74HC595 and 4067)
I need 2 pins to control the radio. Tx-on and data.
I need 1 pin + clock and data from button read, to control LED.
I need pin 10,11,12,13 to control Ethernet Shield.
I need pin 4 to Access the SD-card.
I need pin 7 to access the USB.

Is there a way to get ports for all this and do the processor have the power to run all the code ?
Is Ethernet R3 the right board for this.

It is quite a project and I am having a ton of fun learning about C and Arduino.
Love that "little" thing.

what arduino components do you have?

Gokartjensen:
Arduino Uno
Receive button commands via Ethernet f
Control array of 4x8, 4x16 or 4x24 LED to
SD-card.
Send via radio link

You could find you are running out of memory before you run out of pins.

Gokartjensen:
Idea for function of the control tower box

Scan a button array of 4x8, 4x16 or 4x24 buttons.
Receive button commands via Ethernet from computer or other Arduino Ethernet board.
Control array of 4x8, 4x16 or 4x24 LED to indicate button read.
Log button read and Arduino Uno response on to SD-card.
Send via radio link signal to Arduino Uno to turn on/off current.
Transmit LED status via Ethernet to remote computer or other Arduino Ethernet board.

Now my concern is - Will it be able to do it all ?
I need 5 pins to read the button array. Clock, data, latchRow, latchColum and readButton (using 74HC595 and 4067)
I need 2 pins to control the radio. Tx-on and data.
I need 1 pin + clock and data from button read, to control LED.
I need pin 10,11,12,13 to control Ethernet Shield.
I need pin 4 to Access the SD-card.
I need pin 7 to access the USB.

Is there a way to get ports for all this and do the processor have the power to run all the code ?
Is Ethernet R3 the right board for this.

It is quite a project and I am having a ton of fun learning about C and Arduino.
Love that "little" thing.

I think i would try it with a Mega if i was you - that will give you the pin count and the memory to do everything you need.

You could try a freetronics ethermega which has ethernet onboard (but does then give you grief with other shields)

Craig

Thanks for the response.
At the moment I have 3 Arduino products. Ethernet R3, USB2SERIAL and UNO.
I also have a a 433MHz receiver and transmitter set labeled H37530. (XY-FST and XY-MK-5V)
I have build a button multiplexer with one 74HC595 with 4x8 buttons. Here only mutiplex the rows and read the columns with 4 Arduino inputs.
Also have a LED multiplexer. also using 74HC595.

Nick_Pyne.
I was afraid that the memory could be a problem. Can that be expanded or does the 4K, that MEGA have, sound like it would be possible to hold the code.

craigcurtin.
I found the EtherMega. but sold out :frowning:

I am a little concerned about your comment about shields. Where can I expect the challenge ? (the Grief)
is the Arduino Mega + Ethernet shield a better way to go ?

I don't know what you mean by "Ethernet R3". I assume this is an ethernet shield, probably with SD card included, which goes onto your Uno. If that is the case, it will also go on a Mega. A Mega 2560 plus Ethernet shield is a better way to go than an EtherMega for two reasons only.

1. You might already have an Ethernet shield you can use.

2. The combi is a hell of a lot cheaper than an EtherMega.

Having said that, the EtherMega is not likely to give you any grief, indeed more likely quite the opposite since, by its nature, it reduces the number of shields you might need. Further, I submit that it is as standardised as you will ever see in the Arduino realm and, if there is any grief, it is more likely to be to be down to the shield, and you are most likely to get that grief with it, no matter what Arduino you use.

What I am referring to is the programme memory, the 32k available on a Uno. It may not be enough for the sort of work you have in mind. You can suddenly hit a brick wall when you start applying the SD card, and your project could be about 45k. A Mega has 256k. This sounds like gross overkill but there is no middle ground, it only costs a few dollars more, and does a lot to relieve the stress in this arena. Since you already have a Uno, there is no need to rush out and get a Mega now, but bear this possibility in mind. Note that you can get caught in no-mans-land where you can actually load a programme but it does not have enough space to run.

Gokartjensen:
Thanks for the response.

Nick_Pyne.
I was afraid that the memory could be a problem. Can that be expanded or does the 4K, that MEGA have, sound like it would be possible to hold the code.

craigcurtin.

I am a little concerned about your comment about shields. Where can I expect the challenge ? (the Grief)

Great response, Thanks a lot.
I will get the Mega a little later and keep learning on the UNO and Ethernet that I got.
Here is a pic. of my boards that I am playing with.

As you see it is not the shield on top but, build on to the board. My research have told me that it works just like the shield would do. I hope that is right.

Again - Thanks for the big help, This is part of the reason that Ardunio is my choice of board. Good books to get started and Great forum to help me back on track. I did see the light from the Mega board but was not sure if it was the right tunnel to go in to. Now I will build my interface boards (buttons, LEDs and relay controls with my UNO). then learn more about Ethernet communication and then combine it all in the Mega board in the end. I think I got a plan, and I got it with your help.

Thanks all.

Which me luck.
I might need it.

I'll make post when I get more done.

OK. On the left is a standard Ethernet shield. This communicates through the 6-pin ISCP header and is kosher for use on both Uno and Mega.

If you intend to make an interface board that plugs into that shield, you should use long-pin headers in order to clear the RJ45 jack.

Nick_Pyner:
I don't know what you mean by "Ethernet R3". I assume this is an ethernet shield, probably with SD card included, which goes onto your Uno. If that is the case, it will also go on a Mega. A Mega 2560 plus Ethernet shield is a better way to go than an EtherMega for two reasons only.

1. You might already have an Ethernet shield you can use.

2. The combi is a hell of a lot cheaper than an EtherMega.

Having said that, the EtherMega is not likely to give you any grief, indeed more likely quite the opposite since, by its nature, it reduces the number of shields you might need. Further, I submit that it is as standardised as you will ever see in the Arduino realm and, if there is any grief, it is more likely to be to be down to the shield, and you are most likely to get that grief with it, no matter what Arduino you use.

What I am referring to is the programme memory, the 32k available on a Uno. It may not be enough for the sort of work you have in mind. You can suddenly hit a brick wall when you start applying the SD card, and your project could be about 45k. A Mega has 256k. This sounds like gross overkill but there is no middle ground, it only costs a few dollars more, and does a lot to relieve the stress in this arena. Since you already have a Uno, there is no need to rush out and get a Mega now, but bear this possibility in mind. Note that you can get caught in no-mans-land where you can actually load a programme but it does not have enough space to run.

Gokartjensen:
Thanks for the response.

Nick_Pyne.

craigcurtin.

The issue with the EtherMega is that no standard shields will clear the Ethernet jack - so you need extensions headers - however trying to get extensions headers to suit the double row of connectors at the end of the Mega board is almost impossible - no one in Oz stocks them and the only overseas place i have found is ridiculous for shipping charges.

Otherwise it is a brilliant board - i have 3 of them

Craig