will powering a arduino uno backwards damage the arduino?

will powering the arduino uno dc power port backwards damage the arduino?

If you mean reversing the polarity at the 2.1mm DC power jack, then no this will not damage the Arduino. There is a diode in series with that power jack that prevents that (within limits...if you apply -200V you will get quite a light show).

-- The Ruggeduino: compatible with Arduino UNO, 24V operation, all I/O's fused and protected

legoaceking: will powering the arduino uno dc power port backwards damage the arduino?

Depends on what you mean by 'powering it backwards'. If you mean applying DC power of reverse polarity, then no, as there is a series polarity protection diode that would prevent any damage, the board would just not work. Applying reverse polarity to the Vin pin or the +5vdc pin would cause damage.

Lefty

im saying if i hook up 6 aa batterys in reverse polarity will it damage the arduino

im saying if i hook up 6 aa batterys in reverse polarity will it damage the arduino

• If you hook it up to the 2.1mm DC power jack: NO
  • If you hook it up to the Vin connector pin: YES

-- Beat707: MIDI drum machine / sequencer / groove-box for Arduino

thats what i needed to know thank you!

Would a diode bridge to prevent such problems cause a big deal on the Arduino board? I mean, I know it’s a waste… but it sure would give some extra peace of mind. :slight_smile: