Will quadcopter crash when handheld TX sends new settings to flying RX?

Hi All,

I'd like to have an arduino based Quadcopter receive messages from a Beaglebone Black homemade RC transmitter.

The reasons i want to use a beaglebone black for the transmitter is:

1. It can handle a comprehensive graphical menu system on a large sreen (possibly touch) , fast telemetry updates
  2. I have one laying around.

The reason im using Arudino on the copter is that it saves battery power and can handle the flight controlling system.

I'm in the process of figuring out what exactly is displayed on the screens of commercially available RC transmitters. I'm sure one of those things is a type of flight mode for the quadcopter.

If i change a flight mode on the transmitter and then send it to the quadcopter while its fliying, is its onboard arduino going to reflash itself mid-air, causing the motors to freeze and then copter to crash?

Is there any way to update arduino quadcopter settings while the vehicle is flying and not have it crash?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

If i change a flight mode on the transmitter and then send it to the quadcopter while its fliying, is its onboard arduino going to reflash itself mid-air, causing the motors to freeze and then copter to crash?

If you write the code in such a way that the Arduino is reset then the quadcopter will crash whilst it reboots. Do it right and there will be no problem. Note that you will not be reflashing the Arduino.

Is there any way to update arduino quadcopter settings while the vehicle is flying and not have it crash?

Implement the code on the quad as a state machine. At any one time the system will be in one of several states such as stabilised, acro mode, horizon mode, GPS on, return to home, loiter etc. Some of these states may be combinations of others ie return to home and loiter require GPS to be on.

From your questions it sounds like you do not know enough about Arduinos or multirotors to succeed with this project at the moment. I suggest that you buy a commercial flight controller such as a KK2 to get familiar with the concepts before trying to do it yourself.

Hey thanks for this information. I didn't hear of a "state machine" before and after looking it up, it looks like exactly what i need to do. No flashing the arduino, just zapping it and having it switch modes, what a great idea, thanks!