Will solder blob fry my new arduino?

Just got my first duemilanove in the mail. I am concerned about what appears to be a soldering error. Do you thing the soldering blip shown in the picture will fry my brand new arduino? The traces look like they connect those pins anyway, but I want to be sure

Thanks!

those 2 pins appear to be test and ground, which according to the data sheet need to be tied together

might want to get a second opinion tho

http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/DS_FT232R_V205.pdf

That is exactly why they are tied together… and if they were not linked together… your PC would never see the Arduino.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

yea I wasnt sure, I don’t have an ftdi chip on my setup

The traces on the board do tie those pins together. But thats no excuse for poor soldering. While it won’t cause a problem i’d still let the retailer know about it.

The traces on the board do tie those pins together. But thats no excuse for poor soldering. While it won’t cause a problem i’d still let the retailer know about it.

I think they do that with the machine that puts it together (“pick and place” I believe it’s called).

I don’t think it’s a soldering error, rather a fallback if for some reason that trace gets broken? Or perhaps it comes from the manufacturer like that?

And, after all, mine are bridged as well.

Don’t have it on my board.

IMO there is no place for solder bridges on a professional board like this. I was taught better then that. But then again the arduino does have some good soldering that looks a hell of allot better then most other consumer electronics have. Then again those aren’t meant to be as visible as the arduino is.

The one pictured is the first one i’ve seen that has sticker over the made in Italy stamp.

The apparent solder blob is a PCB design issue. There is actually a piece of top-layer trace there, probably too small to be covered by soldermask. So of course it collects an actual blob of solder. The trace is actually a function of EAGLE’s polygon fill algorithm. It’s not explicitly drawn, but is filled in as part of the top-layer ground plane (though exactly why it takes this exact form is a bit mysterious.)

An interesting example of how a PCB design can be correct and work fine, but LOOK wrong. The Freeduino PCB was considerably worse in v1.16; it had those smt pads welded together as a solid double-wide thing. That seems to have been fixed as a result of feedback from “manufacturing” in the 1.18 version (the first production version was 1.19, I think)

Another post here http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1263958401 that may be about a similar thing.

The one pictured is the first one i’ve seen that has sticker over the made in Italy stamp.

Mine has it too, I like it personally :).