Will the arduino communicate using a serial/hex...

I wasnt sure if this should go here or interfacing…

Anyways, I have a device that communicates with a serial connection. I currently use hyperterminal to test it with a PC, but I need a microcontroller to beable to do it. The device communicates with Hex; for example in hyperterminal i send 010D, it will send back a particular number in hex. Then it will have programming to vary a PWM output.

I’m just wondering if the Arduino has this capability within its hardware/software before I buy it and actually play around with it.

Yes. the USB interface on arduino creates a virtual serial port on the host side, and once the sketch is loaded, you can use the same port for serial communications between the host and the sketch. There’s some info on hyperterminal specifically in the “playground” here: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Interfacing/HyperTerminal

I believe they actually want to connect the Arduino to a device that has a serial interface. The Arduino can do this, but you will most likely need to convert the ttl to rs232 voltages. There are several ways to do this. You could build your own circuit using a max232 chip or buy something like this from sparkfun.

I believe they actually want to connect the Arduino to a device that has a serial interface. The Arduino can do this, but you will most likely need to convert the ttl to rs232 voltages. There are several ways to do this. You could build your own circuit using a max232 chip or buy something like this from sparkfun.

You are correct.

I just bought the kit from sparkfun; I figure the less I have to build/design the less chance for error. Anyway, i’ll attach that to the in/outputs of the arduino. Is there a simple way I can send/recieve hex in the arduino language. Forgive me for a being a newb, there’s just so much information to sift through and I dont have very much time; easier to ask a direct question.