Will the old version of the Arduino Ethernet Shield work with the Uno R3?

I found the previous version of the Arduino Ethernet Shield for sale online very inexpensively, but looking at the shield's page it has a note about an extra pin (or pins) being added to make it fully compatible with the Uno R3.

Will the old version of the Arduino Ethernet Shield work with the Uno R3?

For ~$10 shipped, you might want to with a new shield. The old Ethernet shields do not have support for the SD cards.

zoomkat:
For ~$10 shipped, you might want to with a new shield. The old Ethernet shields do not have support for the SD cards.

Where can I find the new version for $10 shipped?

RoboticsGuy:

zoomkat:

Where can I find the new version for $10 shipped?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethernet-Shield-W5100-For-Arduino-2009-UNO-Mega-1280-2560-/390567046165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aef9c2c15

That's the old version that I was referring to, actually. Note that it says "2009 Arduino," which means that it is the old version, I think. I believe the newer version has a few extra pins?

I think the Ethernet shield has extra pins that will NOT be inserted/fit into headers on older Arduino boards.. meaning they will be exposed to shorting.. and on older (ie: 2009 boards) they come close to touching the caps.. they can be bent out of the way a bit.. (mine comes close..but doesnt touch by default)

on R3 boards.. there 'are' extra headers there for those pins to fit into.

The additional pins have no meaning on the Ethernet shield. They are there to support the new "pin standard" introduced with the R3.

In fact, the Ethernet shield uses the ICSP header for communication, not the digital pin headers. There are connections to pins 10 and 4 for the W5100 and SD Card.

The additional pins have no meaning on the Ethernet shield. They are there to support the new "pin standard" introduced with the R3.

I wasn't sure whether the extra pins on the new version of the Ethernet shield added any functionality, which according to you they don't. That's what I was wanting to know, thanks!