Will there be any successor to UNO? 1.0 around the corner?

Hi! Just curious if I should buy a UNO R3 or if there is any successor planned for release anytime soon? (running ATmega328 DIP) I know there are some other SMD models released since the UNO, but I read somewhere that a arduino 1.0 is planned? Its just nice to be able to easily remove the 328 and put is onto a breadboard/socket etc.

Or should I just buy the UNO?

Thanks for reading! :D

bytestorm: Or should I just buy the UNO?

Only if you want to use shields. That's the only reason.

Otherwise the Nano is a mature design which fits into a breadboard or can be soldered to stripboard or a PCB of your own design, or a Pro Mini if you do not need USB functionality.

aw man.. thats a valid point you got there... hmm.. shields aint important right now. Why didnt I think about that? :cold_sweat: I will look closer to the nano and pro mini!

Thanks!!

I actually bought an adafruit Trinket this weekend, not that it's an Arduino since it has an ATTiny processor.

JimboZA: I actually bought an adafruit Trinket this weekend, not that it's an Arduino since it has an ATTiny processor.

Opinion: "Arduino" is both a product and an environment to program said product. However, since Arduino is Open Source hardware, there are legitimate clones that work perfectly in the software programming environment. Ladyada (Adafruit) has several products in the licensed Arduino logo hardware area as does Sparkfun.

There is a "fat' Trinket that is not a tiny AVR: Pro Trinket

Only if you want to use shields. That's the only reason.

... and, the second reason is that the 328P DIP microcontroller is in a socket and is replaceable for just a small percent of the original cost of the UNO. For a noobie, it 'may' make some sense to have a board with a replaceable microcontroller.

Ray

:) Some of the Atmel boards are good, they have the same MCU's but give 2x10 pinouts on each corner of the board.

Can also go standalone, don’t need a whole lot of components.
I start many of my designs like this, and add components from here.
You can see the '328P & stuff in the lower left here for example.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Wow, thanks all for your tips!! I actually bought a Trinket also haha :D

I think starting from CrossRoads "bare minimum" might be a really nice idea.. I might even learn something in the process of setting up my own small board!

This arduino business is addictive! I already want to buy so many things , while I have not even learned more than blink some diodes.. haha

mrburnette: the 328P DIP microcontroller is in a socket and is replaceable for just a small percent of the original cost of the UNO. For a noobie, it 'may' make some sense to have a board with a replaceable microcontroller.

Except that in practice, the Pro Mini is - and the Nano may well be - cheaper to replace than the ATmega328.

Just sayin' :astonished:

As long as you don't mind waiting 3 weeks for delivery from China, vs a couple days from Mouser/Digikey/Dipmicro here in the US. I buy 328P-PUs in 100-lots, last was for $2.42 each with shipping from Mouser.

If you get Nano clones, get the ones with the ch340g chip; a lot of the "ftdi"-based nano clones seem to have counterfeit ftdi chips, which are now very explicitly NOT supported by the FTDI drivers.

@westfw Do you know of a safe link for the driver for ch340?

No. I'm not even sure I trust that a safe version of the driver exists; it made me rather uncomfortable to install the driver :-( I think I got mine from http://www.wch.cn/downloads.php?name=pro&proid=178 Which at least I believe is the company that manufactures the chip...

which are now very explicitly NOT supported by the FTDI drivers.

Is this the current status of the FTDI stuff?

From what I read, the driver that bricked the cloned FTDI devices was removed by microsoft and replaced by the previous one that didn't brick.

Has a newer FTDI driver now been released that just doesn't work for clones ?

I have a cheap nano and I've no idea if its got a cloned FTDI chip or not, and I know someone who recently bought 3 cheap nano's and they all seem fine, with the FTDI driver

I guess we could both be lucky and have real FTDI chips, but its seems a bit unlikely as they were rock bottom prices.

Yes the bricking driver has been removed (and it was a crappy and evil thing to do in the first place) but the newer drivers just don't work. You might find an old version that does though

There are mixed reports. When I did some experiments with W7 (and a real FTDI-based arduino), it looked like it was still downloading the Evil driver (actually failed to get the latest version), and it seems that it's near impossible to get windows to revert drivers and difficult to get it to install older versions manually. There is no newer driver at FTDI. So I'm more annoyed at FTDI now than I was when the problem was originally reported...

There have been a flurry of reports RECENTLY of people having their Nano and Duemilanove clones apparently "bricked."

Should be using Linux (Mint) for development. :grin:

IDE loads faster, too.

(running ATmega328 DIP)

The only thing I can think of doing with a 328 that might be worthwhile is replacing the 16u2 code/chip/connections with something that does direct ISP programming (no more bootloader) and debugging. But the arduino team is being pretty silent about how they might go about adding debug support (it's supposed to be on Zero), and I don't know that the low-cost 328 will support the (presumably more expensive) capability. (this would also rely on their relationship with Atmel. Atmel has never documented the AVR debug capabilities. :-( )

It's a $30 board; just buy it; it's not worth losing the time hoping for something better.