Win 7 can't find Leonardo

Got my Leonardo (first Arduino) yesterday. Read two books (at least the first chapters) on how to get started. Wrote the “light the LED, make it flash” sketch; got ready for the upload. Plugged in the Leonardo: nothing — no beep, no pop up — nothing on the computer to indicate that the device is there. Pressed the Leonardo reset button (several times); changed USB ports; rebooted the computer, same failure.

Manually running the Device Manager doesn’t find it, either (no Leonardo/Arduino entry).

The on-board LEDs light up (two: one green, on steady; and one yellow, flashing), so Leonardo is powered.

If the computer doesn’t see the device, it’s not going to request a driver, so I’m stuck.

It’s a Dell quad, Win 7 with service pack 1.

Is it Lenny’s fault, the computer’s, or am I failing to feed and care for something in the system properly?

Try in safe mode.

StereoBucket: Try in safe mode.

Thanks for the tip.

I just tried that, and it didn't work, either.

Beginning to get a bit unhappy.

Maybe it's the faulty USB to Serial chip Check if the pins are correctly soldered to the board. Inform atmel that you have received a faulty device if you don't find the solution in the end. But you should try it on other computer.

Ok for now take magnifying glass and see if theres something wrong.

If any PC doesn't see anything then it's definately problem with the connections or the chip itself.

StereoBucket: Maybe it's the faulty USB to Serial chip … If any PC doesn't see anything then it's definitely problem with the connections or the chip itself.

I was afraid of something like that.

I'll give it a shot as soon as I find my magnifying glass. It's around here … somewhere.

Well, I'll try it on my wife's computer first. She has exactly the same machine as I do, except I have two monitors.

Thanks to all who responded to my plea.

It turns out it was not the Leonardo, but the USB cable. A lot less hassle and expense to fix.

In any event, the thing works now, and it was satisfying to see the LED flash heck, even my wife was impressed.

Thanks, again.