winch motor selection

Hello everyone can I get some advice on what type of motor to use for my winch?? I am lifting a weight off the ground at a "fairly fast" clip (1 ft/sec.) with a motor powering a line that is hauled in on a drum. The weight needs to be held in position such as half-way.

I know stepper motors can hold in place and, if there is no slippage, I can have the winch drum turn lets say 10 revs and stop to raise the load half-way. This project is not really taking needed to take advantage of the stepper motors accuracy. ( the drum turning a 20th of a rev for example)

A worm geared brushless electric motor can hold in place but would require limit switches for positional control and I am not sure a worm geared motor can run two directions, forward and backward to raise and lower.

A servo might not have the speed and strength that I would need also I am unclear about it's ability to hold in place.

Thank you so much.

DC motors runs both ways disregarding what the transmission is like. Steppers are likely not a good choice.
What weights are You talking about? Grams, kilos or tons? What is the diameter of the drum? From that You can calculate the torque needed.ยจ
Apply a sensor on the drum to keep track of the position.

A worm gear can go in both directions and will hold the load steady when power is switched off .

you guys are awesome!!! very helpful, thank you!!!

About a 50 lb weight, 10 feet off the ground, on a drum about 2 in. diameter. (just ballparking right now :))

Open up Your books from school and start calculating torques!

Roger!!!!!

Air pilot?

house231:
you guys are awesome!!! very helpful, thank you!!!

About a 50 lb weight, 10 feet off the ground, on a drum about 2 in. diameter. (just ballparking right now :))

What are you using for line? When I built my sky hook crane, I used 1/16 inch steel cable. Good for 90 lbs. Did you tell us how fast you need to retrieve the line? Do you also need to lower the weight?
Paul

50 lbs at 1 inch radius is 4.17 footpounds or 5.65 Newtonmeters, can your stepper manage that?

JCA34F:
50 lbs at 1 inch radius is 4.17 footpounds or 5.65 Newtonmeters, can your stepper manage that?

Stepper? Check original post, reply #2.
Using a stepper would be dangerous regarding a stepper power failure.

OOPS! Should have said, 50 lbs at 1 inch radius is 4.17 footpounds or 5.65 Newtonmeters, can your motor / gearbox manage that?

A worm drive with less than 40 degree angle would be the best choice. (most are but check all the same)
More than that , it will turn backwards under load.
As well, the motor drive and the worm drive output shaft will need to have thrust bearings fitted to each end.
Most worm drive units are designed for one direction rotation only and already have one end thrust ball/bearing fitted.
Running it backwards electrically is no problem but the load will drive the armature hard against the casing and destroy the motor (eventaully if not straight up)