Wind turbine pitch control

Hi friends, I'm right now planning to implement a wind turbine, in a particular area with wind speed measured as 7.1m/s. My plan is to have a control over the blades, ie; pitch control. I'll be using a perm mag DC generator for generation. Instead of measuring the voltage, current, rpm and all, I wish to use an encoder and measure the main shaft's rotation in about 3secs, and pitch the blades to a particular angle, so that the rpm of the shaft is increased. I need to continue the process until the rated rpm is achieved. Once it tend to go beyond the rated rpm, the blades need to be pitched in the opp directn. The encoder value and its corresponding rpm, obtained by the generator will be measured and matched using trial and error method, either using a tachometer, or an anemometer.

Help required: All the construction, installation and all are safe in my hands, but I need help in the coding. I'm confused whether to use a stepper or a servo. My technical knowledge suggests me of using a stepper, as it involves even very fine step control. So someone please show me how the code looks like. I've gone through a numbr of articles and projects dealing with this kinda topics. But none of them satisfied my need. So, those who have gone through this article, leave a reply, help me with the coding. Your small help might solve my problem. Looking forward for replis..

Your code will look like one of the examples in the PID library.

Hey, Thanks for the reply. Let me check out and will get back soon…

These links may help Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

I strongly suggest you have some non-computer system that shuts down the wind turbine if there is a serious overspeed - just in case your Arduino control system fails.

Also, design your Arduino system so that it can recover when the actual speed goes out of the normal range - either too high or too low.

I wonder if a response in 3 seconds will be fast enough.

...R

ADD12: Once it tend to go beyond the rated rpm, the blades need to be pitched in the opp directn.

I think you need to do some more research on how to control a windturbine. You don't mention

• Turbine size, Watts.
  • Turbine blade size , metres.
  • Turbine mass, kg.

Also to prevent over speed you feather the blades rather than reverse pitch, the load from the generator will slow the rotation. Feathering is how you also stop the turbine from rotating along with a mechanical brake to make it safe to work on.

If you are using a DC permag motor generator, why do you want to control the speed to a fixed value.

Tom... :)

ADD12: Hi friends, I'm right now planning to implement a wind turbine, in a particular area with wind speed measured as 7.1m/s. My plan is to have a control over the blades, ie; pitch control. I'll be using a perm mag DC generator for generation. Instead of measuring the voltage, current, rpm and all, I wish to use an encoder and measure the main shaft's rotation in about 3secs, and pitch the blades to a particular angle, so that the rpm of the shaft is increased. I need to continue the process until the rated rpm is achieved. Once it tend to go beyond the rated rpm, the blades need to be pitched in the opp directn. The encoder value and its corresponding rpm, obtained by the generator will be measured and matched using trial and error method, either using a tachometer, or an anemometer.

Help required: All the construction, installation and all are safe in my hands, but I need help in the coding. I'm confused whether to use a stepper or a servo. My technical knowledge suggests me of using a stepper, as it involves even very fine step control. So someone please show me how the code looks like. I've gone through a numbr of articles and projects dealing with this kinda topics. But none of them satisfied my need. So, those who have gone through this article, leave a reply, help me with the coding. Your small help might solve my problem. Looking forward for replis..

the power needed to move the collector will be higher than you think. the first thing that comes to mind is to use a shaft on the collector and use a worm gear to control the movement of the shaft. the worm will take the force and a worm increaces the ratio so you can use a smaller motor and a faster one. In most applications, you do not take power off of a stepper. they are real pigs on power unless you control the power to the motor. few drivers offer adaptive power, but it can save a lot of energy. if you use a DC motor, things get easier and use less power. A continuous servo might also be an option.

I sincerely hope you have decided on the number of blades on the propeller. More than one will be really hard to control with a simple motor so they all have the same pitch and be able to hold that position.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: More than one will be really hard to control

I believe a single blade is most efficient aerodynamically. Though it would present some other interesting challenges :)

...R

Paul_KD7HB: I sincerely hope you have decided on the number of blades on the propeller. More than one will be really hard to control with a simple motor so they all have the same pitch and be able to hold that position.

Paul

helocopters, vane-axial fans, etc... use a collector. as do Holland Windmills, If I am not mistaken the end of the blade is on a bearing so it can swivel around the axis a lever is then pushed or pulled to change the pitch of the blade. one linear motion to push the collector all blades move in unison. but to push on 6, 8 or more blades, in gusting winds, can take some force.