window 10 does not recognize arduino

Hello I am new to arduino. I have windows 10 and it doesn't seem to recognize the arduino. I have it connected to the usb.
It also doesn't have port.

can anyone help?

You may need to install the correct driver. Please post a link to where you bought the Arduino from so I can identify which one you need.

Look at the backside of your Arduino (what type??).
If you can identify a chip with “CH340…” you got a clone which needs the CH340g driver.

Here you will find always the latest version:

this is the kit i bought from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OVGKTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is the kit i bought from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OVGKTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok, for that price it must be a clone (or more precise: 3 clones).
Begin with the Nano - most likely it got a CH340 chip on its bottom as most Chinese clones are built using CH340 chips to work as communication chip (USB/serial) rather than the original FTDI chip which comes with original Arduinos, but FTDI requires to be paid a license fee - and that's why the cheaper (and meanwhile some experts say even better) CH340 chip rules in.

So, start with the Nano and identify the chip on the bottom. If it is something different and has more than 20 pins it might be a clone FTDI - and this could cause troubles with Windows.

it doesn't have ch340 on the back. it tells me uno r3

I don't see any Uno or Nano at the link, only sensors - does look like a nice collection of parts to play with.

If you look at the UNO's they offer they look like FTDI but the prices are way too low to be real ones.

I bought one of those sensor kits and I think only about 25% are really of any use..The rest make good learning modules though.

rpt007, the link you gave me didn't work. i dl the driver and nothing. it doesn't recognize it.

We're trying to help you here but you're not providing us with enough information. You gave a link to an amazon listing that doesn't have any Arduinos in it. If you can't give the product link then you'll need to look at the chip and give us the part number. It should be the chip closest to the USB jack on the TOP of the board, not the bottom. Most common are CH340, FT232, ATmega16U2, CP2102, or PL2303.

i apologize i am new to arduino. Amazon sold out the product i bought. the only numbers i see is this one cs4725v
mega16u2
atmega 328p pu
ams 117

q999:
mega16u2

That's the one we needed. That means you can use the driver included with the Arduino IDE. It's at:
{Arduino IDE installation folder}/drivers

@CrossRoads:
You are right; I just read the headline and it says it's FOR Uno, Nano and Mega ... and my assumption was that those would come with the set (but at that price - ok, it was already a bit late here).

So I understood that the OP has an UNO.

Meanwhile @Pert identified the right communication chip and I think, when the OP follows his advice to install the 16u2 driver it should work.

PS:
@q999:

rpt007, the link you gave me didn't work. i dl the driver and nothing. it doesn't recognize it.

What you apparently did, was downloading the CH340 driver and installing it - so the link really works!

What doesn't work, and we just know the reason for it: as you don't have an CH340 chip on board, a CH340 driver can't make it work, only a driver for the identified Mega16u2.

But if you would buy tomorrow an Arduino clone with a CH340 chip on board (most of the Nano clones come with those) you will be prepared and it will be recognized by Windows.

pert thanks for your help so far. i can't find the mega driver. i looked in the folder and clicked on damd64.exe which was suppose to have uploaded the files. i don't see them. i will do a searh on hd. please give any suggestions. thanks

• Open Device Manager.
  • Plug in the Arduino.
  • You should see a new device appear in "Other devices", double click on it.
  • Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Browse... > select {Arduino IDE installation folder}/drivers > OK > Include subfolders(check) > Next

no it doesn't show. i tried to refresh but nothing. i am willing to do team viewer with someone that knows.

pert:

• Open Device Manager.
  • Plug in the Arduino.
  • You should see a new device appear in “Other devices”, double click on it.
  • Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Browse… > select {Arduino IDE installation folder}/drivers > OK > Include subfolders(check) > Next

this didn’t work for me. what can i do now?

Try a different USB cable. The cable might be damaged or there are charging cables that don't have the data lines connected.

FYI - it seems that the driver contained in the distribution and a few others posted are not working reliably with Windows 10 on some systems. My desktop stopped working but my laptop was OK.
I found a driver at the mfg site that worked first time.

Try it.

ruggb:
FYI - it seems that the driver contained in the distribution and a few others posted are not working reliably with Windows 10 on some systems. My desktop stopped working but my laptop was OK.
I found a driver at the mfg site that worked first time.
CH341SER.EXE - 南京沁恒微电子股份有限公司
Try it.

That’s not your problem, the problem is you have a clone that uses a different USB-serial chip from the ones on the official Arduino boards so the drivers included with the IDE don’t work for it.

q999’s board has an ATmega16U2, not the CH340, so that driver won’t help.