Windows 10, no "usbser.sys" - USB Serial Driver, Arduino Due

Hi. I've got problem with my Arduino Due Programming Port driver. Each other driver for this hardware has been installed properly. An error occures while installing this driver. In the setupapi.dev.log i looks like this:

!    flq:                          Missing SourceDisksFiles/SourceDisksNames information from INF.
!    flq:                          Default INBOX source locations pulled from pre-built DrvIndex
     dvi:                     Default installer: Exit
     dvi:                {DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES - exit(0x00000000)} 23:21:24.368
!!!  flq:                Source Media: SPFQOPERATION_ABORT (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbser.inf_amd64_827db80716f312be\usbser.sys).
!!!  flq:                Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
!!!  flq:                FileQueueCommit aborting!
!!!  flq:                Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
!    ndv:                Queueing up error report since device installation failed...

Whole text i put here: Part of setupapi.dev.log

Just don't know what to do. In ../DriverStore/FileRepository i can find file usbser.sys, but in folder named "usbser.inf_amd64_5c1e72f10b795c9e" insted of "usbser.inf_amd64_827db80716f312be", which is wanted/called by the installator. I can't find any USB Serial Driver in google (spent on this problem about 10 hours), Official Microsoft site only describes the usbser.sys file. I tried also installing Arduino drivers from different reviews, with no result. Updating drivers manually and auto. always ends with error "Windows found driver for this hardware, but occured an error while installing it. Can't find specific file" (I guess usbser.sys). Do You think (if You don't know how to solve my problem) installng Windows 7/8 insted Win10 can be helpful? I would appreciate any help (especially quick, because this is part of my engineering project :) ).

I know this is a 6 month old post but, just in case people come to this from google;

I had a similar problem with an Arduino 101 on Windows 10 64-bit. When I tried to install the Arduino 101 Serial Monitor driver it said: “Cannot find the file specified”.

After reading through setupapi.dev.log (can be found in C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log) I found this line:

!!!  flq:                     Source Media: SPFQOPERATION_ABORT (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbser.inf_amd64_827db80716f312be\usbser.sys).
!!!  flq:                     Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

To fix this I created the folder it was asking for (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbser.inf_amd64_827db80716f312be) and then copied the .sys, .inf and .pnf from C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbser.inf_amd64_8c80b4923877175d which I already had. I then re-installed the drivers and it succeeded.

NOTE: If windows says you require permission to modify the folders simply follow these instructions from Stackexchange (http://superuser.com/questions/647638/create-folder-on-system32-driverstore-filerepository):

(Folder C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository)

Right click the folder, click Properties
Click the Security tab
Click the Edit button.
Now add your account and give it Full Control
Click Ok
Click Yes at the “Windows Security”-prompt
At the “Error Applying Security”-prompt click Continue once and Cancel at the next
Click Ok at the “Windows Security”-prompt
You can now copy files/folder into this directory.

On a similar note does anyone know if it is possible to stop Windows 10 updating the usbser file once it's there, or replace /rename the file and point the INF to the renamed file?

Basically I have a CDC device which was working great on Windows 10 until the newest update put the boot in.

So 2 questions I guess: 1. Can I ring-fence the old usbser.sys to survive any future updates? 2. Can I replicate and rename the usbser.sys e.g. myusbser.sys and override the default usbser.inf with my own e.g. myusbser.inf?

I have tried to do the second option and failed - it was as if my version of the inf was completely ignored even when it was installed as the device driver....so I guess I'm checking to see if this approach is, for one reason or another, a non-starter...

Very many thanks in advance.

Joe

Windows (most flavours) is not the only cause of USBSER.SYS being replaced.

There is a version from Adafruit. Another from Arduino.org and a few more from other USB devices all of which can change out or re-direct to thier own copy.

It is something that has caused me a few issues and as pointed out it is something that can be a PITA to find and fix.

Only a suggestion but if you have FULL admin rights I guess you could take away or change some of the permissions to the file in the hope that it gets locked.

One of the win 10 updates does and did cause issues with some USB devices but as far as I know you could roll that one back.