Windows 10 upgrade Warning

Just a note about Windows 10 upgrade.

If you are currently using Windows 7 or 8.1 and your computer is compatible with Windows 10:

Microsoft for the last 8 months has bugged users to download and install the upgrade.
If you closed the Window that ask you to upgrade, nothing happened.

Now, however, if you close the window it assumes you want the upgrade it will then proceed with the installation whether you wanted it or not. :o

If this happens to you have ~29 days to return the OS to the previous version.

With W8.1 you can set your connection to "metered", when you do this it knows that you are paying through the nose for your data and it never tries to update.

At least that's what I read and what I did and I've NEVER been asked to update to W10.

My wife has W7 and metered doesn't seem to be an option, she was asked several times and said no, eventually Windows stopped asking. She has since heard that Windows will stop asking if your connection is through a mobile (which ours is), once again I assume because they know you can't possibly afford to download that much data.

Graynomad:
because they know you can't possibly afford to download that much data.

I don't use Windows so this is an academic question - how much data?

XUbuntu is 1.2GB and that was well within my monthly limit of 12GB.

...R

I can’t remember how large W10 is, but much more than 1.2G I think.

We have a 25G plan and use every byte. To be fair I have downloaded up to about 2.5G for a package I REALLY wanted, IE gate array CAD or whatever, but after that I’ve had to pull my head in for the rest of the month :slight_smile:

BTW

I upgraded to 10 on one of my computers, all my programs are working fine on Windows 10.
I did have to reinstall AutoCAD, but that only took 10 minutes.

I believe the file to install Windows 10 was ~900 Meg compressed.

If a re-installation of 10 is necessary later, you need to buy the OS.
Comes on a USB thumb drive ~$100 for Home Premium.

Supposably, Windows 7 will be supported till 2020.

Windows 10 free till July ~29?

Check out the Never10 program.

Also in windows update the Upgrade to windows 10 is now there (optional updates): you can un check it, then right click it and select hide update.

After hiding it, run disk cleanup on OS disk, then click cleanup windows files. It then gives you the option to remove temporary windows installers, Win10 will be hiding in there if it has been downloaded (my installers folder was 5.7GB, 3GB of this would have been Win10).

If you receive the ad box for windows10, do not click cancel (means update tonoight, ok is update now), you need to click the little 'X'.

FWIW I have found win 10 to be not so bad. Everything I have works fine with it.

Delta_G:
FWIW I have found win 10 to be not so bad. Everything I have works fine with it.

I have found the the same here.

I just hate, absolutely hate it when a company forces me to do something on their time table.

LarryD:
Just a note about Windows 10 upgrade.

If you are currently using Windows 7 or 8.1 and your computer is compatible with Windows 10:

Microsoft for the last 8 months has bugged users to download and install the upgrade.
If you closed the Window that ask you to upgrade, nothing happened.

Now, however, if you close the window it assumes you want the upgrade it will then proceed with the installation whether you wanted it or not. :o

If this happens to you have ~29 days to return the OS to the previous version.

I agree on this. But the problem is the update itself. It should have been upgraded separately than following the update on the computer to have it upgraded. What I’m trying to say is, much better if you remove Win 7 then replace it with Win10 if you prefer to use Win 10. :slight_smile:

jpauls:
I agree on this. But the problem is the update itself. It should have been upgraded separately than following the update on the computer to have it upgraded. What I'm trying to say is, much better if you remove Win 7 then replace it with Win10 if you prefer to use Win 10. :slight_smile:

You can do that if you like. Its not really practical for many users.

You can download the upgrade tool from microsoft and it will download an iso which you could burn to DVD or USB.

As microsoft assumes that they're customer base is similar to Apples (technology illiterate, and the fruit) an update is not going to loose peoples data like a fresh image will.

Biggest problem with this upgrade is small businesses that can't afford a win7 enterprise licence are getting auto updated, or staff clicking the upgrade button without checking. Then a lot of their software fails to work.

I updated to win 10. That was a bad move, at the time I had win 7. I had a lot of problems, lost all my book marks for one. Had to reinstall several programs again. Just plagued with a host of problems.

Back in April my cat knock my laptop on the floor, landed on the screen with it open. Bleed red. In May I bought a new laptop with win 10 on it. I have no problem with win 10 at all. Everything runs like it should.

My best guess is to don't update. Wait till you need a new system then upgrade.

Wait till you need a new system then upgrade.

That's what I'm planning on doing.
A friend of mine updated his Win 7 x64 Pro to Win10 soon after the update came out. Some of the software he used frequently just stopped working. So he downgraded to Win 7 again. Then he discovered that it hadn't returned him to Win 7 Pro. It was Win 7 Basic (or Home - can't remember which). Not a happy camper.

Pete