Windows 11, take the plunge?

Well, then I have succeeded in making my point as time spent in a forum typing away is otherwise pointless.

giphy (5)

With no support in the form of updates, isn't is vulnerable to hacks?

still downloads updates every now and then

This is a commonly made claim, and I'd love to know how true it actually is. Not how true in theory, but how true in practice. I suspect, but don't know, that the risks are very small indeed.

Now, that's funny ...
We are in the Sports Bar, and that beastie looks like it needs another cold one.

The bigger question is what does MS know that is making them drive the OS to a hardware-centric security model? Intel has had microcode security issues, is MS building a no-boot-up wall if the cpu is compromised? Then TPM 2.0?

The TPM 1.2 spec only allows for the use of RSA and the SHA-1 hashing algorithm. ... TPM 2.0 enables greater crypto agility by being more flexible with respect to cryptographic algorithms. TPM 2.0 supports newer algorithms, which can improve drive signing and key generation performance.

There seems to be a quantum leap and MS is not giving the users very much info. I was already suspicious of why out-of-box Windows Subsystem for Linux, WSL. Are we to believe MS is just playing Mr. Nice Guy?

Well, most hacks are really social engineering based nowadays. It's hard to secure a user's brain.

Not Hardly :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

A Trusted Platform Module, also known as a TPM, is a cryptographic coprocessor that is present on most commercial PCs and servers. In terms of being present in computers, TPMs are nearly ubiquitous, but until recently they've been mostly invisible to users due to lack of compelling applications that use them. That situation is rapidly changing. With the recent awarding of Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) certification to various TPM designs, and recommendations from the President's Council of Advisors that the United States government begin using TPMs to defend the nation's computers, the TPM has become a strategic asset for computer owners to defend their cryptographic assets.

The biggest vulnerability to corporate systems are outside satellite computers not under their direct control. By making TPM2.0 mandatory MS is banking that these companies will require any computer connecting to their systems run Win11.

For myself I never upgrade Windows until after the first service pack.

2 Likes

If anyone wants to dig further, Microsoft just released Windows 11 Enterprise in a VM for development purposes. It expires in January so they will probably release an updated version before then.

They forgot to update the page title, so it still says Windows 10:
Download a Windows 10 virtual machine - Windows app development (microsoft.com)

1 Like