Windows 7 drivers debacle. How embarrassing.

So after trawling the net trying to figure out why the native Win7 installer, doesn't actually install the drivers properly (despite clicking the box that says 'install USB drivers', I came across this post:

It states that (like my .zip folder) there actually is no arduino.inf file :o ... There isn't even a way to actually select a specific file, only a way to search a folder.

I tried the workaround; by selecting the device as a modem and using the compaq drivers. But seriously guys? I installed on Arch in like 5 mins with no troubles at all.

That post was made over two years ago, how has this not been properly addressed? Has it actually been addressed?

Peace.

Also this workaround (as posted in the thread above) appears to only work temporarily... I have keep on re-installing the drivers as a modem:

Any solutions would be appreciated.

I have difficulty deciding if this is a windows issue or something else.

The Arduino does not normally install as a "modem" under windows ?!?!?
I have NEVER seem "Compaq" drivers used to install an Arduino either ?!?!?!?

Going to send you HERE first and then when you come back you can add some better information and maybe remove some confusion.

There are a few VITAL bits of information missing before much can be said or done.

Well thank you @BallScrewbob for that rather strange answer. If you need more info you can always ask..

I didn't really feel the need to go through the entire problem, as it's fairly obvious that the drivers won't install and any manual attempt has failed.

The Arduino does not normally install as a "modem" under windows ?!?!?
I have NEVER seem "Compaq" drivers used to install an Arduino either ?!?!?!?

Not sure if you are aware but the Compaq drivers are for an Atmega328P. A modem is just a device label, a hangup may be causing this but I seriously doubt that.

No matter... here goes:

-This issue is persistent across all of my Win7 machines.
-I'm running an arduino uno
-this is the error from IDE:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem loading to board. see *arduino troubleshooting link* for suggestions

-When that started happening I knew there was an issue with the drivers, so I looked around and found this post:

http://archive.iorodeo.com/content/arduino-uno-drivers-windows-7-vista-or-xp

in which, they detail manually selecting the arduino.inf file, from within the drivers section, of the zip file that you can optionally download to install the IDE.

-THEN, I noticed that there IS NO arduino.inf file... so then I found the post linked in this initial post and that has brought me here..

-I tried the same tactic with the FTDI drivers, as per this post here:

That didn't work either

Possibly a windows issue, any light you could shed would be great.

Also, when I got this error:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem loading to board. see *arduino troubleshooting link* for suggestions

The 'Port' section in the 'Tools' drop-down was greyed out and unselectable. Further re-affirming aforementioned conclusion of driver issue.

I just checked the drivers folder of the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" version of the IDE going all the way from the latest hourly build back to 1.0.5-r2 and every single one has .inf file(s) in the {Arduino IDE installation folder}/drivers folder. Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using?

Sixnoteprod:
(despite clicking the box that says 'install USB drivers'

Where is this box you clicked?

Sixnoteprod:
There isn't even a way to actually select a specific file, only a way to search a folder.

But that's a Windows limitation rather than an Arduino IDE limitation, right?

Sixnoteprod:
Not sure if you are aware but the Compaq drivers are for an Atmega328P.

No driver is needed for the ATmega328P. The driver is needed for the USB-serial chip which is most likely ATmega16U2, CH340, or FT232.

I just checked the drivers folder of the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" version of the IDE going all the way from the latest hourly build back to 1.0.5-r2 and every single one has .inf file(s) in the {Arduino IDE installation folder}/drivers folder. Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using?

yes you are correct, damn windows and their default hiding extensions. The file is there... dun matter anyway because even selecting that folder (like I did before) changes nothing. Yes probably a windows thing.

(despite clicking the box that says 'install USB drivers'

It's in the installer window above 'create a start menu icon'

No driver is needed for the ATmega328P. The driver is needed for the USB-serial chip which is most likely ATmega16U2, CH340, or FT232.

Of course, right you are. Installing the FTDI drivers also did nothing.

Ok so it's looking more and more like a f#%king windows problem. I really f#%king hate windows. I'm only using it for a second terminal.

stuff it.... if no-one has any experience with this problem then imma just deal with re-installing those compaq drivers every time I unplug. Bigger fish to fry atm.

Thanks guys for your input. Much appreciated!!

As an "aside" to this I just pulled 3 "COMPAQ" modems out of my "old redundant" stock of cards.
Examined them and did not find a single atmel chip on those 3.
Admittedly they are all PCI based so could be too new to use them.

Good job I checked that box there was a very nice USB 2.0 card in there that will go in my XP development computer and save me a powered hub !
Not sure I am going to find a use for the RAMBUS server memory though that was also in there.

Please look at the chip next to the USB jack on the Uno and tell me what it says. Should be ATmega16U2, CH340, FT232, CP2102, or PL2303.