Windows 7 starter problems with installation

Hi,

I can't get my new arduino UNO to install on windows 7 starter.

THe device manager doesn't show ports or other devices as arduino is plugged into the usb.

I tried installing the FTDI drivers. I think they installed ok, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I saw one post on internet suggesting that windows 7 thought arduinos were modems and as such wouldn't recognize them.

When I try uploading blink, it says it can't find COM1. Though somehow i think blink got in there (unless it appears by default) since my LED started blinking as required. However I tried to change the parameters (blink more slowly) and it didn't change when ("unsuccessfully") uploaded.

Any ideas, anyone? (that don't include chucking my acer one notebook)

Many thanks.

(deleted)

lionelm:
Hi,

I can't get my new arduino UNO to install on windows 7 starter.

THe device manager doesn't show ports or other devices as arduino is plugged into the usb.

I tried installing the FTDI drivers. I think they installed ok, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I saw one post on internet suggesting that windows 7 thought arduinos were modems and as such wouldn't recognize them.

When I try uploading blink, it says it can't find COM1. Though somehow i think blink got in there (unless it appears by default) since my LED started blinking as required. However I tried to change the parameters (blink more slowly) and it didn't change when ("unsuccessfully") uploaded.

Any ideas, anyone? (that don't include chucking my acer one notebook)

Many thanks.

COM1 and COM2 are mostly used by your computer, so arduino's COMx should be something else than 1 and 2... My guess is you are doing something wrong at the installation procedure , so take a look here : http://arduino.cc/en/guide/windows
Its a nice guide you have to follow...

Hi,

Thanks to you both for your replies.

First off, it says it is an arduino, and has the logo and everything, but i am not really qualified to tell.

Secondly, yesterday my device ,manager was saying nothing about it. It had no ports description line and nowhere did it say arduino. However, today it has a ports entry, and the arduino is magically installed in the COM3. And best of all, it appears to be working correctly as new sketches can be uploaded. Hence: SOLVED!

I am sure I rebooted yesterday after the arduino install, but maybe, thinking about it now, I didn't reboot after the FTDI install. So the moral of the story of anyone else has a netbook with windows 7 starter, is to reboot at least once and see if the arduino appears.

I am a complete novice, so if anyone else is where i was yesterday, it appears to be something like this: netbooks won't readily identify ports because they only have usb slots. So not only do you have to install arduino, you also have to create virtual ports using FTDI.

Is that right? Please correct me for the benefit of personkind.

I got my FTDI install from VCP Drivers - FTDI and used the setup executable for windows (link available in the right hand column when i wrote this).

Thanks again for your help.