The IDE fails when uploading the EsploraBlink program on USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports on Windows 8.1.
- Arduino Esplora (purchased December 2013)
- Arduino IDE 1.0.5 (downloaded 30 December 2013)
- Arduino EsploraBlink Program
- Arduino supplied USB cable
- Successfully configured the Windows 8.1 USB port drivers per Arduino instructions
- HP Pavilion Desktop (AMD processor)
- Steady "ON" LED
- "L" LED flashes when USB is plugged in and when the IDE upload starts
- "TX" and "RX" LEDs flash when the upload starts
- "RX" but no "TX" activity after "L" stops flashing
- Steady "TX" but no "RX" activity when I open the Serial Monitor
- Shows Arduino Esplora on COM4 in bottom right corner (correct)
- Programmer: USBasp
- No compiler errors
- Upload times out with "buffered memory access not supported."
Found programmer: Id = "B°U"; type = Software Version = . ; Hardware Version = . Avrddude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
Working from Forum posts I correctly installed the USB drivers and changed Programmer from the default AVRISP mkII to USBasp (no improvement). I also tried holding the Esplora RESET button down through the compile process and releasing it when the Upload process begins (no improvement).
I opened the Serial Monitor window. The Esplora TX LED came on steadily and the monitor window started scrolling steadily (blank lines). It was set to 9600 Baud COM4 (correct). I tried all four combinations of NL/CR handling without success.