Windows Application

Hello!
I read some tutorials about the arduino. But so far I found only tutorials describing how to upload software TO the arduino. Is there no way to write an application for windows that can read values from anlog sensors connected to the ardunino?

You can do that with any programming language that can access a serial port.

Processing is a free programming environment that goes very well with Arduino.

I have made a simple VB.NET program that reads input from slidepots connected to Arduino.

Almost all programming languages i know abot can read from / write to a serial port. If you are familiar with a specific language check it out, otherwise i would go for Processing.

Thank you for your reply, MikMo. :slight_smile:
So I also would be able to access arduino through my windows mobile 6 smartphone ;D

But using the serial port connection... can I really get the values from a vibrating or accelometer sensor? The sensors as far as I know give back a voltage from 0 to 5V (or 3V). Can I read the current values of an (analog) sensor via the serial port connection?

You can hook up your sensor to one of the 6 analog pins on Arduino. Arduino has a built in analog to digital converter that will convert a voltage in the 0 - 5V range to a number in the 0 1023 range. This number can be send over a serial port.

I don’t know if the Smartphone will work with Arduino directly. On an ordinary Windows PC you need to install a driver that makes the Arduino board appear as a virtual serial port. You would probably need a driver like that on your phone before you can connect the Arduino board to the phone. I don’t know if such a driver exists for the Smartphone OS.

I don’t know if the Smartphone will work with Arduino directly. On an ordinary Windows PC you need to install a driver that makes the Arduino board appear as a virtual serial port. You would probably need a driver like that on your phone before you can connect the Arduino board to the phone. I don’t know if such a driver exists for the Smartphone OS.

Just to add a little … you only need a driver on the Windows PC if you are communicating through USB.

There are a some serial Arduinos which have rs-232 interfaces on them or you could use the software serial library to send data to the phone.

Regards,

Mike

oh yes. thats right. actually all the Arduinos can communicate serially on pin 0 and 1.

EDIT:

But there might be some problems with TTL / RS232 levels

Well I have an T-Mobile MDA Touch smartphone, the popular model name which also a couple of other smartphones use is: HTC
It has only a mini usb port. I already ordered an adapter for mini usb → usb.

On this site, it was mentioned that even you connect via usb, a “virtual”? com connection does exist.

If I knew that I can connect an ACCELEROMETER sensor to the ARDUINO, and that I can read the values (X-axis, Y-axis) FROM a Windows MOBILE APPLICATION, I might buy the ARDUINO BLUETOOTH. Is this possible without too much trouble?

Edit: Accelerometer can also be a digital one. (not analog) - Haven’t bought it yet.