windows port selection

I am trying to set up my Arduino Uno. I was able to select the type of board it is from the tools drop down menu, but I can't access the port. It is not highlighted on the menu.
I need help.
Thanks,
Jay

The most common reasons for this problem are:

You didn't install the driver. Which driver you need depends on which USB chip is used on your Uno. If you have an official Uno, then the drivers are included with the Arduino IDE. If you have an Uno made by another manufacturer then it might have a different chip, which will require you to download the driver from the chip manufacturer's website (usually this one).

You are using a damaged or charge-only USB cable. Verify the cable works for data on another computer.

There also may be problems caused by the use of a USB 3.0 port. You should connect the Uno to a USB 2.0 port.

Hi again,
Thanks for all the suggestions, I got it to connect to the port. I did not have it connected completely. I plugged it in until I heard a click. I thought it was plugged in all the way because it lit up. But I plugged it
in again, this time until it clicked, and now I get the port highlighted on the menu.
Thanks again,
Jay

I'm glad to hear you got it working. Enjoy!
Per