Windoze10 Store and other suggestions

1. I will add my voice to the "Please consider giving us an alternative to using the MS windows store." I have many Arduino projects (several hundred) and the store refuses to upgrade to the current version. It just says "you already have this installed" and opens the IDE.

2. Separate the compile steps from the firmware upload. Recompiling my LoraWan gateway takes a long time to get to the "Failed to flash" message because I am forced to go through the build steps (always).

3. Please provide a generated make file! The IDE is poor enough that command-line is an improvement.

4. When one sets "Use external editor" in the IDE, consider prompting for the command-line or executable to start the external tool.

5. Please consider a guide on how to migrate from the IDE for small children to widely used ones, such as Eclipse, Visual Studio, Vim, Atom, etc. Reverse engineering how the dev team decides what/how to compile and flash is not my idea of useful effort.

BB54TX:

1. I will add my voice to the "Please consider giving us an alternative to using the MS windows store."

There are two alternatives: the "Windows Installer, for Windows XP and up" link and the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" link on the Downloads page. It's a little tricky because these aren't obviously links, while it's hard to resist clicking that oh so pretty "Get" button.

BB54TX:
the store refuses to upgrade to the current version. It just says "you already have this installed" and opens the IDE.

Yeah, this is a known issue:

BB54TX:
2. Separate the compile steps from the firmware upload. Recompiling my LoraWan gateway takes a long time to get to the "Failed to flash" message because I am forced to go through the build steps (always).

The primary goal of the Arduino IDE is for it to be friendly to beginners. The more UI elements added, the less beginner friendly it gets. So each needs to be carefully considered as to whether the benefits outweigh the harm it does. Very few users (including the advanced ones) would have any use for a feature that allows you to upload pre-compiled vinaries, so this is definitely not worthwhile. If you need to do this, just use the command line tool the Arduino IDE uses for uploading.

BB54TX:
3. Please provide a generated make file!

The Arduino IDE doesn't use make, so that wouldn't be practical. There are several popular 3rd party makefiles for Arduino you can use if you like.

BB54TX:
The IDE is poor enough that command-line is an improvement.

You might like the arduino-cli tool:

BB54TX:
4. When one sets "Use external editor" in the IDE, consider prompting for the command-line or executable to start the external tool.

Good idea!

BB54TX:
5. Please consider a guide on how to migrate from the IDE for small children to widely used ones, such as Eclipse, Visual Studio, Vim, Atom, etc.

The Arduino team uses the Arduino tools, so we aren't going to be the right people to write a guide on using the 3rd party alternatives we have no experience with. Much more sensible would be for the authors of the 3rd party software to write their own guides, which I'm sure they have already done.

Arduino is working on an "Arduino Pro IDE":

It's currently in the beta development stage, but once it's more stable I'm certain a guide will be published. Note that Arduino is currently asking the community to try out the Pro IDE and provide bug reports and feature requests. This is your opportunity to have an influence on the design of the new IDE, which is specifically targeted to users like you.

pert:
Arduino is working on an "Arduino Pro IDE":
GitHub - arduino/arduino-pro-ide: The Arduino IDE for advanced users and developers. Experimental alpha version.
It's currently in the beta development stage, but once it's more stable I'm certain a guide will be published. Note that Arduino is currently asking the community to try out the Pro IDE and provide bug reports and feature requests. This is your opportunity to have an influence on the design of the new IDE, which is specifically targeted to users like you.

it is 'alpha' stage 'overview'
it doesn't work
not updated since October

Juraj:
it is 'alpha' stage 'overview'

Correct, my mistake. That's an even better time for someone like BB54TX to get involved and ensure the IDE turns out the way they want it. If not, well don't complain about it later.

Juraj:
it doesn't work

It's certainly a work in progress, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "doesn't work". I'm definitely not going to recommend it for everyday use yet, but it's far enough along for people to test it out and report bugs or make feature requests.

Juraj:
not updated since October

The repository's files haven't been updated since October, but that only because Arduino made the decision not to release the source code yet. The source code is hidden away in a private repository. The arduino/arduino-pro-ide repository is currently just a place to store the documentation, issue tracker, and releases. The latest release of Arduino Pro IDE was made 25 days ago, and there has certainly been some development on the secret code since that time. So it's definitely an active project right now.

Just to concur with Per on every aspect.

More so the "not updated since" visual

There are many many projects irons in the fire so to speak many of which are time consuming for the small teams Arduino employs and back issue lists longer than the eye can see.

Prioritising such lists whilst keeping the more used items current and updated is an ongoing battle.