Winter - time of static electricity

Hello

I need general advice. My project is enclosed in plastic box and 8 character LCD display is sticking out it's metal frame. Today I touched it accidentally and felt jolt of static electricity charge. Guss what - display went blank! Lucky for me when I disconnected power and connected it back again the display was working fine.

How can I improve the circuit to protect it from static electricity discharges?

Janis

Provide more information

Is the unit connected to the mains by a wallwart or an inbuilt transformer Is the unit battery powered with absolutely no connection to the mains What other devices is your unit connected to and if so connected do any of the above 2 questions apply Are you wearing nylon clothing or underwear Are you standing on a carpet

All of the above are necessary to determine where the "static" is being generated and how best to eliminate it.

Is the unit connected to the mains by a wall-wart or an inbuilt transformer

Arduino is connected to powered USB HUB. receives power via USB socket.

Is the unit battery powered with absolutely no connection to the mains

Unit is connected to mains via USB connected to PC

What other devices is your unit connected to and if so connected do any of the above 2 questions apply

LCD character display via ribbon cable connected to Arduino. Arduino via USB cable is connected to PC Sockets are grounded.

Are you wearing nylon clothing or underwear

I'm sure my clothing contains some nylon threads.

Are you standing on a carpet

Office. Carpet. Very dry air.

The last one is the problem : dry air and carpet is building up static in your body. Strangely some people are more able to generate than others, maybe because of the clothes they wear.

You need to discharge yourself before playing with your unit, usually by quickly tapping a grounded or large metal area (typically a metal-clad light switch or a filing cabinet) with the back of your hand. Using the back of your hand, rather than the tip of your fingers, is less likely to cause you to "jump" when the discharge takes place. Since you're using a mains powered PC, with an earthed casing, you could also use its casing as the "touch point"

epossum: Today I touched it accidentally and felt jolt of static electricity charge.

Do not allow yourself to be fooled by being able to feel the discharge. ESD discharges well below the human body's sensitivity can be damaging to circuits...

Static Guard can help eliminate static shocks. Spray on the carpet around your electronics. (don’t spray on the electronics)

I may have missed something. Can't you just ground the LCD's enclosure???

I always wear a grounding strap when working on computers. It's a PITA, but that's why it's there.