wire solution for lcds..

I am using an arduino to control multiple lcds. (based on this idea: http://www.hackmeister.dk/2010/08/4-lcd-displays-on-1-arduino/)

The arduino will be mounted in a case and the lcd screens will be mounted on top of the case along with some pushbuttons.

How can I wire the lcds to the arduino without ending up with a bundle of cables that invariably make it difficult for me to shut my case because they tend to be too long when the case is closed (other than try to make the cables shorter, which is difficult when soldering because the case needs to be open for that)?

I think there might be some neat ribbon solutions but haven't found any made for lcds and arduinos...

any ideas anyone?

You can get lengths of multi colored ribbon, but I don't think it offers much over bundling the wires with cable ties.

Mount your four LCDs to the lid. Run the cables to a small pcb mounted on the inside of the lid. On this PCB you can put a simple pin heaer (2x6 should be sufficient) Something like this

Get a piece of ribbon cable. On one end you fit one of these.

On the other end you can fit one of these (for pins 2 - 7 inclusive)

Then you want another one of those with 5 pins (to go to pins 8 - 12 inclusive) (Yes I know you're not using pin 11, just leave that one empty)

And finally another two singles for 5v and GND.

Connect the arduino end first, Push the other end on the back of your lid and then screw it on.

great idea! will keep things tidier I think.

if my lid doesnt have a slot for pcbs what’s the best way of mounting it without screwing through the lid?

skreech: great idea! will keep things tidier I think.

if my lid doesnt have a slot for pcbs what's the best way of mounting it without screwing through the lid?

Glue?