Wire Type/Size

I have a hall effect sensor (follow meter) that is wired NPN but needs to have a 3m extension inserted between the arduino and the sensor. It runs on 5v and draws minimal current, much less than 100mA.

I have been trying to find some 3 core wire for the extension but my local poars shop doesn’t stock anything really thin in that length and surprisingly eBay didn’t seem to have anything either. Cannot find any supplier in Australia.

Would ethernet cable be suitable? I tried to find USB cable but seemed to only find pre-terminated stuff.

I am trying not to revert to over sized automotive wire…

I would use a twin core screened cable .
You may have to get it mail order , it’s not the sort of stuff local shops keep. eBay is good for this sort of stuff - loads of hits for it

What is wrong with this? One extra core, no harm in that.

hammy:
I would use a twin core screened cable .

Like this.

hammy:
You may have to get it mail order, it’s not the sort of stuff local shops keep.

Actually, it is exactly the sort of stuff local shops keep. As per the link.

OK I will stand in the corner with the dunce hat on..... I looked at that audio cable but didn't give it another thought (it's audio cable....) but I didn't see the alarm cable. 25 AWG is 0.2mm2 I believe which should be fine.

Happy to admit my failings......

Thanks fellas.

Mk1_Oz:
OK I will stand in the corner with the dunce hat on..... I looked at that audio cable but didn't give it another thought (it's audio cable....) but I didn't see the alarm cable. 25 AWG is 0.2mm2 I believe which should be fine.

Happy to admit my failings......

Thanks fellas.

You can learn a lot in the corner.
Take a book (iPad and cruise the internet) with you.