Wireless Communication Between Arduino & Computer

Hi There,

I'm new to using Arduino's, but I'm interested in setting up wireless communication systems between an arduino and a computer. From what I can gather, The Arduino MKR1000 comes with Wi-Fi capabilities built in.

Is there a way to have this Arduino send predetermined information directly to a computer, or do you need to set up a second Arduino that's plugged in as a receiver?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Your computer needs something that understands what you’re sending to it from the Arduino; it’s called a program :wink:

You should be able to directly communicate from thr MKR or any Arduino with a WiFI / ethernet shield to a computer that is connected to the same network.

Haha, okay, seems simple enough!

Are there any programs out there made for this purpose? Or can the Arduino software do this?
Or will it be a case of writing the program from scratch?

lloydturner:
Are there any programs out there made for this purpose?

You write it.

lloydturner:
Or can the Arduino software do this?

No.

Okay, so the simplest route is just to use two separate arduino's that communicate between each other?

Thanks for the help!

lloydturner:
Okay, so the simplest route is just to use two separate arduino's that communicate between each other?

Yes, if your goal is to have two Arduinos communicate with each other..

Your PC must do something with the information that you send. You need to define what that is.

On your pc you can run e.g a ftp server. You can implement a subset of the FTP protocol on the Arduino and save the information on the FTP server.. I'm not familiar with the MKR, if it runs a flavour of Linux it might already have a FTP client thst you can use directly.

You can also have a webserver on the PC and let the Arduino act like a web client (similar to a browser but without user interface) to send information to the PC.

And you can obviously write your own PC application; it all depends on what you want to do with the information.

If you just want simple wireless communication between an Arduino and a PC maybe Bluetooth would be sufficient. It is very simple to implement.

...R