wireless communication using 434mHz transmitter and reciever

I recently bought these:

434Mhz RF-LINK_RX 434Mhz RF-LINK_TX

from this project:

https://z4ziggy.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/rf-sniffer-open-gates-cars-and-rf-remote-controlled-devices-with-ease/

On the SparkFun website there is a link called 'KLP Walk-Through' which toward the bottom of the pDf gives an example of how to set up the transmitter and receiver for a simple transmission using two arduinos using the following code:

/* Simple Transmitter Code
 *  This code simply counts up to 255
 *  over and over
 *  (TX out of the Arduino is digital pin 1)
 * To upload the code pins 0 and 1 musn't be plugged into anything otherwise you'll receive an error. Once code is uploaded then plug wires into pins 0 and 1 for serial 
 * communication.
 */

byte counter;
int incomingByte = 0; 
int ledPin = 13; 
void setup() {
  // 2400 baud rate for the 434 model
  Serial.begin(2400);
  counter = 0; 
  pinMode(ledPin,OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {
  // Serial.print send data to serial port to be sent to transmitter.
  Serial.println();
  Serial.print("I am sending: ");
  Serial.print(counter);
  counter++;

//read in values, debug to computer
  if(Serial.available()>0)
  {
    incomingByte = Serial.read();
    delay(1500);
    Serial.println();
    Serial.print("Recieved: ");
    Serial.print(incomingByte,DEC);
    Serial.println();
    Serial.println();
    Serial.println();
    Serial.println();
  }

incomingByte = 0; 

}

MY QUESTION is can I test the transmitter and receiver by using only one arduino and the RX and TX pins to transmit one bit at a time to the receiver and have it display in the serial monitor? I feel when I use the above code I"m not actually transmitting or receiving anything, only short-circuiting via the serial monitor.

My intention is to send data to the TX pin which will then transmit via the transmitter to the receiver and will display what was received on the serial monitor.

I hope I"m conveying my point. Please let me know if I"m not. Thanks for your time.

The approach taken in the "KLP Walk-Through" is not very useful.

These modules are best used with a wireless library like Virtual Wire (updated to RadioHead, but use of VW is OK) or RC Switch like in the ziggy word press. My advice would be to start with the Virtual Wire library.

There are many tutorials about how to use these simple 433 MHZ devices and you would be advised to spend some time with Mr Google or the Forum search box.

Thanks for the reply.