Wireless communication with MATLAB

Hi, I’m thinking of starting a project where I’d have to have MATLAB WIRELESSLY communicating with the Arduino board in real-time.

The Arduino board needs to send images from a camera to MATLAB whilst also receiving control signals.

I’m just wondering whether this is possible. If so, how?

I'm just wondering whether this is possible

Yes

If so, how?

Look into using Xbee modules at both ends.

Grumpy_Mike:

I'm just wondering whether this is possible

Yes

If so, how?

Look into using Xbee modules at both ends.

I've seen that you can use Xbee modules for wireless communication and I've seen that you can interface with Arduino from MATLAB via USB. But are the Xbee modules addressable like a normal USB connection?

Also with Xbee have enough bandwidth for image transfer?

But are the Xbee modules addressable like a normal USB connection?

They are serial devices so on the computer end you need a USB to serial connector.

Also with Xbee have enough bandwidth for image transfer?

You can transfer an image using any bandwidth, it will just take longer.
However, talk of an image and arduino in the same sentence is often an indication that the person asking the question hasn’t thought about it. You have 2K of memory in an arduino, what sort of an image do you want to use. Only the very lowest resolution images can be used. You can’t use the arduino to acquire an image of more than trivial size.

Ok, my idea is a quadrocopter. So if say I were to communicate with the camera via other means, e.g. direct communication between the camera and computer.

Is the Xbee communication fast enough to control the quadrocopter directly from MATLAB or would I have to program the arduino to self stabilise and just send commands e.g. UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT from MATLAB?

MearWolf: I've seen that you can use Xbee modules for wireless communication and I've seen that you can interface with Arduino from MATLAB via USB. But are the Xbee modules addressable like a normal USB connection?

My question of whether MATLAB will be able to communicate through the Xbee still stands...?

My question of whether MATLAB will be able to communicate through the Xbee still stands...?

Yes it can but you will need a USB to TTL serial converter to do it.

Xbee communicates in packets of information, it is not suitable for real time control like you want.

Grumpy_Mike:

Yes it can but you will need a USB to TTL serial converter to do it.

Xbee communicates in packets of information, it is not suitable for real time control like you want.

Do you have any more details on the USB to TTL converter Do you know of a better way for an Arduino chip to wirelessly communicate with MATLAB?

Just google:-
usb to ttl converter

Do you know of a better way for an Arduino chip to wirelessly communicate with MATLAB?

Are we talking about one way or two way communication.
Most two way communication uses simplex packages and can make time critical communication tricky.
I am not sure why you want to use MATLAB if you want to control a quadrocopter.