Wireless Communication with single Arduino

I am trying to find a wireless relay or some other method where I can control a relay wirelessly using a single Arduino. While Arduinos are relatively inexpensive, I’d rather not waste money on something that is used simply to control a relay.

Specifically I am trying to activate a 240V/30-40Amp relay (Fotek SSR) to turn on a vacuum system. I’m hoping to control this relay wirelessly (without another Arduino or other compatible controller on the receive side) with an Uno on the transmit side. It will be one-way communication.

I am new to Arduino, but am trying to research as much as I can prior to asking here, but this is proving to be very challenging, at least for me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

What range (distance between transmitter and receiver) do you want?

It would be easier to put the Arduino on the receiving side and use, for instance, Bluetooth on a smart phone as the transmitter for a short range system.

Another choice may be 433MHz remotes with 1 to 4 buttons. Like this one. Use the relay on the remote board to actuate your 240V relay.

gnwjr:
I am trying to find a wireless relay or some other method where I can control a relay wirelessly using a single Arduino. While Arduinos are relatively inexpensive, I'd rather not waste money on something that is used simply to control a relay.

Specifically I am trying to activate a 240V/30-40Amp relay (Fotek SSR) to turn on a vacuum system. I'm hoping to control this relay wirelessly (without another Arduino or other compatible controller on the receive side) with an Uno on the transmit side. It will be one-way communication.

I am new to Arduino, but am trying to research as much as I can prior to asking here, but this is proving to be very challenging, at least for me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You would probably get better suggestions if you described the project in more deatil.

It would be good to know where the controlling Arduino and the 'relay' actually are, in the next room or next continent ?

srnet:
You would probably get better suggestions if you described the project in more detail.

:sunglasses:

You might be able to use an NRFL01 or a 433 Mhz transmitter receiver pair.
Alternately, I have a wireless 120V outlet with a key fob I use to cycle power for my wifi router.

Why Arduino at all?
https://www.lightobject.com/Electronics/RF-Wireless-Controller/4CH-RF-Remote-Control-TxRx-Kit-module
Connect output to a MOSFET to control the relay coil current.

I chose not to include a description of my project primarily because I didn't think it was pertinent, but now I see that was probably no the correct way to go. Nevertheless, I am trying to design an automatic dust collection system for a woodshop, loosely based on one designed by the guy on "I Like to Make Stuff." I plan to use an Arduino Uno with a Adafruit 16-channel PWM servo shield controlling about eight servos. These servos will open and close blastgates (via wired connections) based on around eight current sensing modules (120 and 240v). When a wired sensor senses current (a machine is turned on), this signal is sent to the Arduino which opens the respective blastgate then after some delay, a wireless (basis of my question) signal is sent to something which then activates the 240v/40A relay turning on the dust collector. When the machine is turned off and after some undetermined number of seconds, the dust collector is turned off then another time delay afterwhich the blastgate closes, and the system goes back to monitoring current sensors.

In my mind, the Arduino should be on the transmitting side due to the additional controlling and computing requirements. The receiver side simply receives a signal and acts on it by activating the relay ON or OFF. I am hoping there is either a wireless relay capable of 240v/40A or a self-controlling receiver (i.e., no requirement for another Arduino). The distance between transmitter and receiver is no more than 35-40 feet. I have thought about using a fob-type Tx/Rx system, but taking the transmitter out of the fob and trying to integrate it into the Arduino, but I'm not sure if I have the electrical knowledge to do something like that. Because of that I keep going back to some other system.

I hope this is enough information to help y'all help me. Again, anything would be appreciated and thanks again.

https://www.lightobject.com/Electronics/RF-Wireless-Controller/8CH-RF-Wireless-Remote-Control-TxRx-Kit-1527

Connect the Arduino to the transmitter, with optocouplers to 'press' the buttons.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.