Wireless connection

Hey

I am a starter in Arduino and electronics and still learning a lot.

My question is:
Is it possible to have a wireless connection with an Arduino microcontroller that is over 100 meters away? And if so, is it possible to connect with it like a phone with Edge, 3G or 4G?

And if it's not possible I will have to work with the Wifi shield 101 I guess?

Thanks in advance!

You can get a GSM shield for an Arduino so it can send and receive text messages - is that the sort of thing you have in mind? If you are in an area with a phone signal that will give virtually unlimited global range.

Otherwise you could have two Arduinos that talk to each other wirelessly - perhaps using high-powered nRF24L01 modules.

Or Wifi, as you suggest. But for long range you may need a specialized WiFi antenna.

...R

I think WiFi will have a decent change of working, assuming you have line of sight, and aren't in a city with lots of other people's WiFi interfering.

NRF24, I don't think would do the trick - they're subject to interferance from 2.4ghz devices, including WiFi, cordless phones, and other consumer electronics like baby monitors, and are kind of crap in the first place.

Line of sight, I've gotten >1000 feet with 433mhz OOK RF, using cheapo or STX882 transmitters and RXB12 receivers (using my own send/receive code, not virtualwire/radiohead libraries - I don't know whether those would make any difference in range).

And with things like XBee or LoRa, you can get much longer range - at higher cost.

I don't think it is that kind of stuff i'm looking for.

We are writing an application for a smartphone and it should be able to send actions to the arduino board and receive information from the actuators on the board.

Dries_VdV:

We are writing an application for a smartphone and it should be able to send actions to the arduino board and receive information from the actuators on the board.

What?

And, yet, you keep repeating yourself by stating what you want without much in way of details?

Dries_VdV:

I have no idea what you mean by "it"

Your Original Post mentioned phones and WiFi and my Reply #1 I addressed both.

So it's over to you to tell us what you are looking for.

...R

Connect your arduino to internet, and you can reach it from anyehere in the world with wifi, edge, 3g, 4g, modem or whatever you like.