Wireless control of two sets of NeoPixels

Hello.
I’m hoping someone can give me a push in the right direction for this. I originally asked about this project some time ago, but then stopped working on it. (See http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=301344.0 for reference.)

I am posting under a new thread because I need to simplify my original design. In short, I am running two chains of 600 neopixels, each from a different Arduino. Each will loop a simple command from the AdaFruit Neopixel Library (Modified slightly so that only small sections of each strip will be asked to do something. e.g. Pixels 20-30, 50-60, 10-20, etc. - all part of the loop)

I think I’m ok so far, but what I also need to do is:

1. Have a way to get both Arduinos to start the loop at the same time so they’re in sync with each other, ideally having each Arduino waiting for a Go command, which would be sent wirelessly.
  2. Have a way to switch to a different function wirelessly.

An example would be:

1. Arduinos and Neopixels are powered and running. No Pixels are lit yet.
  2. From a transmitter (another Arduino?) a Go command is sent, prompting the first function to run indefinitely.
  3. From the transmitter, another Go command is sent, prompting the second function to run indefinitely.
  4. Repeat.

I am looking for dead simple on the wireless, unless someone tells me otherwise. My thoughts were to just get something to simulate a button press that would bump the program to the next function. (I am half tempted to use one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-2262-2272-4-CH-Key-Wireless-Remote-Control-315MHZ-Receiver-module-F-Arduino-/201159288346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed607261a )but I’m concerned with errors

Here are my concerns:
-I need something where I can send one signal and have both Arduinos reliably get the same signal and act at the same time.
-I need something that is simple. I know only enough to be dangerous, and only have a couple weeks to get this to work.
-I need something I can get relatively quickly, so something from dealextreme.com, for example, would not work.
-I would really appreciate links to sources to buy what anyone recommends.
-If you have any code examples, PLEASE let me know.

Thank you for reading this long post, and for your input. I really appreciate it!