Wireless data transmission: TTL, 232, or 485

I am working on a project that will involve sending data wirelessly back and forth every few hours. I have settled on the radio transceiver I want to use, but not clear on which interface I want: TTL, 232, or 485.

I figured 232 would work; but then I read some Ardiuno docs that say indicated using TLL and connect the rx / tx lines…

Would someone be able to give some advice? what will be easiest vs what is most robust (data transmission wise).
my gut says to use 232 since I have uarts available…

Thank you & happy new year!

What kind of data will you be transmitting? XBee® might be a good bet for transmitting data between your computer or other device and your Arduino. They are pretty easy to use also.

RFID badge, in or out, weight.
I don't want to use xbee's and it's going to be between to arduino's, no computer involved.
thanks.

I had it explained in simple terms, that I hope is right: it boils down to voltage. ttl is closer to direct arduino usage, where as 232 would need to convert the voltage to a lower signal. so ttl is what I want; i hope.

I have settled on the radio transceiver I want to use

Then the decision has been made, I've never see a transceiver that used anything but TTL.

to use 232 since I have uarts available...

Makes no difference, 485, 232 and TTL are just voltage levels, nothing to do with the serial format used.

So I gather you have an Arduino and an RF module together and the Arduino will send data every now and then. Is that the case?

If so then there is no question, connect the Arduino and the RF module directly Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx. The only thing to check for is the voltages levels required by the RF module. A lot of them are 3v3.

I don't want to use xbee's and it's going to be between to arduino's, no computer involved.

Xbees have nothing to do with a computer, they are just an RF link.

Rob

Graynomad:

I have settled on the radio transceiver I want to use

Then the decision has been made, I've never see a transceiver that used anything but TTL.

The transceivers I choose have options to output ttl, 232, 485, that's why I had the initial question.

Graynomad:

to use 232 since I have uarts available...

Makes no difference, 485, 232 and TTL are just voltage levels, nothing to do with the serial format used.

As I said...

Graynomad:
So I gather you have an Arduino and an RF module together and the Arduino will send data every now and then. Is that the case?

yup. back and forth.

Graynomad:
If so then there is no question, connect the Arduino and the RF module directly Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx. The only thing to check for is the voltages levels required by the RF module. A lot of them are 3v3.

Right; once I had it explained that it was just voltages, the differences and choices became clear. Despite working with things everyday; doesn't mean we know everything about them. now that I have that info; it's clear. Luckily for me; the ttl versions are A) less expensive and B) use less power...

Graynomad:

Xbees have nothing to do with a computer, they are just an RF link.

Right -- should have been a semicolon -- two different thoughts answering two questions...

Thanks!

You seem very coy about the details of the transceivers you are using. Why not post a link to the datasheet?

If it's a wireless transceiver surely it outputs radio frequencies that have nothing to with TTL, 232, 485 etc?

...R