Wireless Drone

Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, so any direction is appreciated. I'm looking to build a bit of hardware that has the capability to perform the following functions:

Be accessed and controlled remotely Can access a file and download it over a wifi connection Can store the file locally on a flash drive

The situation: This is for a contest. The hardware will be airborne in a remotely piloted drone by a team. It will be within view at all times, but the range might have to exceed several hundred feet +. There will be a server broadcasting a signal midway through the course. The password will be given the team - but the file must be downloaded by hardware located on the drone. File must be intact and in form to be handed over to the judges upon landing.

Any ideas on where to start? I haven't worked with Arduino Hardware before, but I'm a quick study.

Many thanks!

O_O. That's a big task for a beginner. I mean, I wouldn't expect myself to try to cope with it in say next few years. But it might be possible. Google Arducopter.

AaronCarpenter: Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, so any direction is appreciated. I'm looking to build a bit of hardware that has the capability to perform the following functions:

Be accessed and controlled remotely Can access a file and download it over a wifi connection Can store the file locally on a flash drive

The situation: This is for a contest. The hardware will be airborne in a remotely piloted drone by a team. It will be within view at all times, but the range might have to exceed several hundred feet +. There will be a server broadcasting a signal midway through the course. The password will be given the team - but the file must be downloaded by hardware located on the drone. File must be intact and in form to be handed over to the judges upon landing.

Any ideas on where to start? I haven't worked with Arduino Hardware before, but I'm a quick study.

Many thanks!

Is this for the hardware to do the downloading, or is it for the complete package (drone + hardware to do the downloading)?

Also - when you say a server is broadcasting the file - how? Wifi (802.11x), xbee, something else?

Cr0sh,

The concept was to have it handle the downloading, it would be attached to a piloted drone. Here are the specifications directly from the rules of the contest as it applies to the WiFi portion (I'd like to build a device capable of this, and I'm wondering where to start):

• The student teams shall use Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encryption when accessing SRIC.
  • The SRIC Service Set Identification (SSID) will be provided.
  • The router IP address, netmask, password, and folder name will be provided by the SUAS judge prior at the beginning of team set up time. The SRIC will be using channel one at 2.412 GHz.
  • Configure the aircraft router to route to/from the ground station network and the SRIC network.
  • At the ground station, enter the provided IP address and path to map the network drive on the laptop. Provide a valid username and password for a user account on the laptop when mapping the network drive.
  • When flying in the area specified, the network connection should be established.
  • After connection is confirmed, the routing path from the ground station through the aircraft to the SRIC is established. The mapped network drive should now be accessible.
  • Navigate to your team’s folder.
  • Open the folder and read the included text file to receive the message. This folder will be read only.
  • Provide the message to the SUAS judge.

I'd like the functionality of being able to control it remotely. Though if it's advised to try to make the process autonomous, I could attempt that instead.

Thoughts?

Bump?

Can't you just use FTP to get the file from the given location? (Requirements become a bit blurry (ambiguous) starting at the 5th bullet.)

Well sure, but with what hardware? The file has to be downloaded onto a flash drive that sits in an RC plane while in flight. Is an Arduino board even the way to go? Is there a simpler solution?

Arduino can write a file on SD card. There are a few libraries that can do that. Hardware-wise, connecting an SD card is trivial (no extra logic required). Arduino can access with WiFi a web server to retrieve a file. For this purpose you need a WiFi module/shield. One I used successfully is WiFly from Rover Networks.

Try to get the system up and working outside of the RC plane, on your desk. Mounting it on the plane is just a distraction, you shouldn't need to change anything for the flight.

@ Florinc

Outstanding - I'm off to do some Arduino shopping.

@AaronCarpenter

I am making a project in my university that require wireless transmission between my laptop and a mobile vehicle. In this wireless transmission I need to send and receive data - and I thought Arduino will be a good help, so please share with me the possible ideas about wireless communication - my project starts at 1st of March, so I still have couple of days before start shopping.

Thanks in advance...