Wireless fireplace remote control

Take this RF remote/receiver system as an example:

Skytech 1001-A remote control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KXCCIW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.yNvybNG20DG9

The receiver is battery powered, and the batteries last at least two years before they need replacing. I want to make my own receiver, one that has long battery life and more importantly can be controlled by a pi/Arduino etc.

Any suggestions on how to cobble this together? I have no idea how they built a receiver that lasts on batteries for so long. Since this works for s millivolt fireplace, which itself generates power, do you think they are stealing from thst to power the receiver?

Read the user comments. That batteries are removed during the season the fireplace is not used.

Paul

Have a look at Nick Gammon's power saving tutorial

...R

I can make a low powered Arduino, however the problem is how can I wake it up? Interrupts are the only way that I know will work for a responsive system.

Are there any RF receivers that will operate at low power and will also act as an interrupt for an Arduino?

FutureTense:
Are there any RF receivers that will operate at low power and will also act as an interrupt for an Arduino?

I think you can do that with an nRF24L01+, but I have not needed to do it myself.

You will probably need to study the Nordic datasheet.

...R
Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial