Wireless man machine communication

Hi,

Need some directions on how to proceed. My project is semi-work and semi-hobby related so I have to disclose some information from you guys, bare with me on that.

What I’d like to do: Have a UNO connected to a device via RS-323 or LAN. This UNO would send text strings to the device via the serial or the LAN and wait for return text. Then the text would be relayed to another UNO via XBEE or NRF24l01. The user would then see from the UNO with the touch TFT messages and would also be able to send commands back to the UNO that connected to the device. The UNO with the screen has to be a portable device, hence the wireless technology.

The device I’m connecting to is on LAN so this is something I’d have to take into account.

I don’t really know what questions to ask you guys, more or less I’m hoping to spark up a conversation about this subject.

I’ll draw a picture for you guys…hold tight.
Edit: Picture added

Thanks

I wonder why there is a need for any Arduino. Why not just use a smartphone direct to the device with the LAN?

...R

I don't see a reason that this wouldn't work, but at the moment its not an option.

aslak: I don't see a reason that this wouldn't work, but at the moment its not an option.

In that case I had hoped that my question would prompt you to provide more information. So much for a conversation :)

What is the device? Why is the Arduino sending it data? What sort of data is coming back - show an example? How often does all this happen? How many times per second or per minute?

And, most importantly, what exactly do you want help with?

To be honest, I can't see what the difference would be between your collection of Arduinos on the one hand, and a smart phone on the other. Why is the phone not an option?

...R

Good questions! I'll try to answer a much as possible.

The device is a machine that is used by random people, can't really say more about that. The reason why the Arduino is sending/receiving data is to get status updates from the machine. The communication "interface" (dont know the correct term for it) is telnet. Status polling is something I see that could be done every eg 10 seconds during the day, and never during the night. Commands would be sent to the device as needed by the user.

I was a little bit unclear about the smartphone, sorry. The reason a smartphone cant be used is because the device is on a private network and getting access to this network from the "outside" is hard / not possible.

Now that I think of it, my question is how easy is it to communicate with a RS-323 capable device and send text over telnet. Yeah I know, define easy...

aslak: The device is a machine that is used by random people, can't really say more about that.

Maybe I'm a silly purist, but the Arduino is an Open Source system and I don't think it is appropriate to give free advice for things that people want to keep secret.

There is too much secrecy in the world and its only purpose is to put other people at a disadvantage - whether at the personal, corporate or national level.

If you will open up your project to the public I will try to help.

...R

I fully understand and agree with your opinion, seriously.

I'm more than willing and happy to open up my project to the Arduino community but to a certain extent.

An example: My project code is written up and it's not working like it should. Before I post the code to the forums, I'll have to remove the credential information on how to log-in to the device and telnet commands on how to use the device from the code.

Example 2: Hardware is setup and complete. I'm more than happy and also flattered if someone would ask me to post pictures and setup information of the system for their own use. The only thing I'd have to disclose is the device we're connecting to, but definitely all schematics are free for all.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that, I'm all-in for open source and willing to give back to the community as much as possible. And I also see that saying what the device is will bring zero into the community. I could have as well said that I'm connecting to a bathroom scale that is RS-323 enabled.

I hope you understand and see my point of view.

Did you try Googling for "Arduino Telnet" it returned good results e.g.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/TelnetClient

Can you sent a link to the RS-323 specification ? I can only find RS-232.

If you man can a Uno be used to relay RS232 data via some sort of wireless connection, then yes. I don't see any particular issues with this.

aslak: I fully understand and agree with your opinion, seriously. I'm more than willing and happy to open up my project to the Arduino community but to a certain extent. . .

Is that a politician's answer?

...R

No sir - just my answer. I'm not involved in politics in any way ;) Are you not happy with the answer I provided you with?

@rogerClark: Thanks for the tips. I got confused with 323 and 232. It's 232 what I meant to say.

aslak: No sir - just my answer. I'm not involved in politics in any way ;) Are you not happy with the answer I provided you with?

I did not mean to suggest that you are in politics (though I don't mind if you are) - just that your answer seems like you want both sides of your bread buttered - secrecy and disclosure - just as a politician likes to appear to support the same causes as the person he is speaking to.

I also noticed that you have very cleverly not even explained why you don't want to disclose everything - my assumption is that there is a commercial profit involved.

Tell us all about your project and, as I said, I will try to help.

...R

/* * Pseudo code for the device on the left in the diagram

/*
* Code for the device on the left in the diagram
* This code is released under the GNU public license version 2.0
*/

/* Note you will need to write the radio code based on what radio you use */

#include "radio.h"

void setup()
{

Serial.begin(115200);
Radio.init();