wireless meter/ monitor

i guys

this is my first post so im not sure if this is the right place!!
im an electrician and avid RC/ FPV pilot.
i have no arduino experience, but want to make a wireless continuity and voltage meter, ie something i can connect to a wire at one end and carry the display with me to monitor the wire elsewhere, sorry if my explanation sux, it sounds better in my head :slight_smile:

im thinking of using XBEE, thing is its 2.4Ghz, so it would be rubbish for penetrating walls, is there something that runs on a different frequency that would suit better?
so who can tell me if its doable, and how id go about making it??
cheers guys

Are you talking about for house current? Maybe something like this?
http://www.santronicsinc.com/voltage.htm

hi crossroads
no thats just a voltage detector, already got one of those.

imagine a large warehouse with hundreds of socket points, and an unmarked distribution board, i would plug my device into a socket, go to the distribution board, carrying the wireless monitor, switch the circuit breakers on and off one by one and if i switch the breaker relating to the socket id be able to see or hear on the monitor that the power has gone off or on.

also a continuity meter just buzzes when when a two ends are touching to complete the circuit, so if i have a hundred unmarked cables i can connect the meter to a cable at one side, take the monitor with me and at the other side and join the ends of the cable until end of the cable connected to the monitor causes it to buzz on the monitor

Okay, I've seen things like the first one for circuit breakers.

Here we go:

Plug a 'transmitter' into a socket, run the detector over the circuit box to find which one it's on.

For the second one - have think about that one a little more. You are still talking house wiring kind of cable? So you are trying to avoid something like shorting the black & white wires of one cable together at one end, then checking for continutuity between the black & white of all the pairs at the other end?
Instead, you want to connect a transmitter to a single wire at one end, which will then act like an antenna of unknown length, and use a receiver at the other end to find it.

im thinking of using XBEE, thing is its 2.4Ghz, so it would be rubbish for penetrating walls, is there something that runs on a different frequency that would suit better?

I have a setup with a XBee inside and another one outside. The radio transmission has no problem going through several walls between the two XBees.

just bought a fluke 233 DMM, exactly what i needed, just cost more than what i wanted to pay.

Looks like a nice unit.