Wireless Sensor Network

Hello,
I am planning to build a wireless sensor network with Xbee S1 802.15.4.The network will include:

• Many (more than 20) stand alone Xbees connected to sensors.
  • 1 Arduino + Xbee to receive data from sensors then do some calculation.
    As all devices will run on batteries I want to set Sleep Mode for the Xbees.

I have some questions:

1. What is an efficient procedure for the Arduino to get data from Sensors using Xbees ?
  2. Can I set the Coordinator Xbee which is connected to Arduino to sleep to save energy ?
  3. Do you have any suggestion for low-power underground wireless sensor network other than this ?

Thank you.

1. Use Xbee library for Arduino
  2. If seting the Coordinator Xbee which is connected to Arduino to sleep to save energy, It will miss the data from other node.
  3. For energy efficiency on Wireless sensor network, you can find many paper on IEEE. However, many of them requires to modify MAC layer. That is not an easy work

trungvan:
3) Do you have any suggestion for low-power underground wireless sensor network other than this ?

Radio waves dont travel very far underground.

Thank you guys,

srnet:
Radio waves dont travel very far underground.

Do you have any suggestion for my case ?

IoT_hobbyist:

1. Use Xbee library for Arduino
  2. If seting the Coordinator Xbee which is connected to Arduino to sleep to save energy, It will miss the data from other node.
  3. For energy efficiency on Wireless sensor network, you can find many paper on IEEE. However, many of them requires to modify MAC layer. That is not an easy work

Thank you.

trungvan:
Thank you guys,
Do you have any suggestion for my case ?
Thank you.

For underground use, no.