Wireless Serial Connection

Take note of the items I use before reading along:

• USB Type B male to USB Type A male Cable
  • Computer to read from the device or write to the device
  • Device to read from or program

I program and read this device very often for testing purposes and have to stand in tight spaces for quite a while while doing these tasks with the device. My goal is to come up with a device that I can wirelessly transfer the serial data from the device to my computer (vice versa) without having a cable in between. I'd be able to sit at my desk in the next room and do these tasks more comfortably because sometimes it can take hours to complete.

This device is not programmed with personal or company information and cannot be accessed without proprietary software and 2 factory authentication when accessing the device anyway so im not worried about malicious snooping from others.

Things to accomplish with the device: * I want it to be as slim as possible. I hope to introduce a small ABS case from a 3d printer to make it no bigger than an arduino nano. * It has to have a range of about 20 feet minimum. I don't ever need to be farther than that anyway. * Being able to transmit and receive on both sides of the data transfer is the most important so I can read and write.

Lastly, I'm not wanting anyone to "figure it out for me". Rather I just need to get push in the right direction. If anyone has any recommendations I would be glad to hear them. I'm very comfortable with soldering and creating things in eagle if that's the route I need to go. Thanks again!

"Take note of the items I use before reading along:

• USB Type B male to USB Type A male Cable
  • Computer to read from the device or write to the device
  • Device to read from or program"

So you currently connect the pc to the device using a USB cable?

This sounds very much like you are trying to re-invent the wheel, and are therefore in danger of ending up with a square one. I can't see anything in your long and detailed, but still rather unclear, specification that suggests you cannot do it with Bluetooth, so maybe that is the direction you need to be pushed in. A typical Bluetooth module is a bit smaller than a nano - minimal soldering required.

Have you considered using a USB extension cable (or two) ? That might be the simplest way to get out of a tight squeeze.

If you convert the USB signal to Serial you will slow it down - would that affect the project?

If the PC program and the device are designed to communicate directly over USB the USB link maybe you can't use Serial in the middle of the communication. For example, I doubt if you could interpose Serial in a USB link between a PC and a hard drive.

You really need to tell us all the details about what you are trying to do.

...R

Will there be a wall in the way and how much metal and/or dense material in that wall?

I'm not clear why the rather cryptic "Device to read from or program", but presuming it's some Arduino or compatible, then maybe this would work: https://github.com/jeelabs/esp-link

Another approach that I've used is, during development, put a Linux SBC (e.g. RaspberryPi) at the remote site, run the Arduino development system on that machine, and VNC to it from the desktop PC over WiFi.

If the "Device to read from or program" needs only a console interface then a bluetooth/serial connection works. I've done this with STM8/eForth nodes.

Finally, if we get to pick the processor of the "Device" then it might be worth considering something like Micropython on ESP8266 which supports a web console to the system with interactive programming, debug, and file transfer.

More details needed on this mysterious "device" and the way it's currently connected to the PC - what Serial protocol is used?

How robust is the error correction and recovery? This as you're bound to lose bits of data or even the whole connection now and then when going wireless.

Elvis has left the building... ;)