Wireless shield conflict with serial port

Hi,

I've an Arduino Mega with a wireless shield to hold an XBee. The XBee receives data from a remote radio, the Mega processes the data and sends it to a python application, using the USB cable, to store it in a database. The problem is that is not possible to use the same serial port to receive a data acknowledge from the python application in Arduino. I know that I could use other serial ports in Mega, to separate communications from XBee than python but this means to manipulate hardware.

What can I do ? Is it possible to change the used serial port in the wireless shield ? Is there any option, via software, to emulate the switch MICRO/USB in the wireless shield ?

Regards,
Joan

What can I do ?

You said it yourself

manipulate hardware.

Is there any option, via software, to emulate the switch MICRO/USB in the wireless shield ?

No.

You could always add a USB/Serial interface chip to one of the other ports, something like this

There are a number of different wireless shields. You simply look at the schematic for
whichever one you have and figure out how to wire it to an unused RS232 port on the
Arduino. Easy to do for a Mega board, big PITN for a UNO board.