Wireless Tally System (new user)

Hi all.

First, I am a complete newbee. I help to provide the technical support for a high school television program. We would really like to set up a wireless tally system for our live productions, mostly sports, and seven camera. We use a tricaster which provides approx 3V to one of eight db15 pins, depending on which camera is selected in the switcher. Basically I need to take that numbered input (pins 1-7) and based on that input, have a corresponding led shine on a box attached to the camera. Transmission range needs to cover a football field or baseball diamond, so 100M or so line of sight. Anybody out there that can give me a guiding hand? I teach physics so have the ability to understand most of what people say, and am reasonably technically oriented. I have some limited coding experience (old stuff like basic and fortran 4) so can probably work through it if pointed in the right direction.

I know that there are options available to purchase, but two things interfere with that. One, they are expensive, and two, I think I would have fun (and the kids have fun) building them and solving out own problem.

Thanks

The wireless part should be relatively easy. I would start by looking at one of the Nordic Networks modules. NRF2401 should do it. Hope Networks RFM12B is also good. 433MHz might have a little difficulty getting the range you want.

The mechanical design of the boxes on the cameras will be most difficult. How do they get power? If rechargeable, how do you charge 8 of them each night?

Morgan

The 2.4 GHZ transceivers are a great idea. I have ac power available to the "broadcaster" from the switcher. Most of the fixed cameras (5) also have AC available. The shoulder mount and endzone cameras would require either alkaline or rechargeable batteries. However, when charging, we have multiple systems that require charging, and more importantly, multiple kids to plug them in. Typical broadcast is about three hours. I imagine the power use for the processor, transceiver, and LED would be fairly low, and workable through batteries.