Wireless vibration motors (cheapest options?)

Howdie all.

So I want to vibrate a tiny vibration motor wirelessly using my computer. I can do this quite easily using an arduino/xbee kind of setup, but I'm wanting to go smaller/lighter/cheaper. The end product will be something that a musician attaches to their ankle to receive haptic feedback. I also want to be able to access/address multiple of these devices (at least 4 total).

Since I'm only using a single pin to control the motor, I'm wondering if it's possible to use an xbee on it's own so I would just have an xbee and a voltage regulator. (The xbee pinout says it has a DOUT pin). It's still a little chunky as it'd be xbee/regulator/battery.

I've seen things like the RFduino, but it's not clear how I would use that using my core software (Max/MSP on a Macbook).

I've also been using an x-OSC (x-OSC – x-io Technologies) and love it, but it's not cheap, and not easy to use more than one at once (you need to use a router).

Are there other *duino wireless derivatives? Ideally that have built in power regulation?

I hear there are vibrating things, colloquially known as 'battery operated boyfriends', that can be purchased and some are radio controlled. They can be quite small (apparently, size matters for your project :wink: ) and, when placed in an alternative housing, they might suit your purpose. Worth investigating, if you've got the nerve...

Hmm, that's a pretty good call.

Found this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Speed-Wireless-Remote-Egg-Body-Massager-Vibrator-Sex-y-Toys-Wand-Relaxation-/360937485812

It's pretty cheap (cheaper than an xbee would be) and can probably gut it to work off smaller batteries. The only concern here would be running multiple ones. It's unclear from the description if they all run on the same channel.

There may be smaller options using commercial remote control products, but for an Arduino based approach you could try something like the Ciseco RFµ boards, which are Arduino clones with a small integral RF transceiver. I haven't used them myself, but they look pretty handy for this sort of thing.

kriista:
It's unclear from the description if they all run on the same channel.

I would be extraordinarily surprised if they did not - because for a start, the receivers would have to be individually "paired" during manufacture.

OTOH, they may even be reconfigurable.

PeterH:
There may be smaller options using commercial remote control products, but for an Arduino based approach you could try something like the Ciseco RFµ boards, which are Arduino clones with a small integral RF transceiver. I haven't used them myself, but they look pretty handy for this sort of thing.

Hmm that's interesting. I'd actually like to go the smallest/cheapest route, definitely not married to having it be Arduino based.
I had a google for remote controlled products but don't know which kind of thing would have multiple channels that they operate on.

Paul__B:
I would be extraordinarily surprised if they did not - because for a start, the receivers would have to be individually "paired" during manufacture.

That's a good point...
I did order one and will have a poke around once I get it.

kriista:
I did order one and will have a poke around once I get it.

I hear that they are made to be poked around. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Henry_Best:
I hear that they are made to be poked around.

Hearsay. No personal experience though?

Paul__B:

Henry_Best:
I hear that they are made to be poked around.

Hearsay. No personal experience though?

Who me? Of course not! :wink: