Wireless video using arduino ? is it possible ? any did

He guys,

I i'm investigating this issue for quite some time, and i will be EXTREMELY greatfull if someone can give me some hints. especially some one who already succeed or even tried and failed to do the the things i will write about in the next few lines.

So I'm building remote controlled car (wifi with es8266 module and arduino) and i want to see video, even slow lagging video like 2 frames per second 640*480 will be great.

I have few options 1. Just buy an wireless IP camera - This should be the simplest approach, but unfortunately i couldn't find cordless cameras, they are wi-fi but doesn't work on batteries. are you familiar with any CHEAP wifi camera that runs on batteries ?

1. using TTL serial camera like those in adafruit - it seems that they are extremely slow because the image is not compressed. From their FAQ : How fast can I get pictures from the camera? This is a pretty slow UART camera, it can take up to 30 seconds to transfer an image! It is meant for snapshots or time-lapse type photography, not for any kind of real-time analysis

2. using ov2640 camera module - it seems that this module has the ability to create jpeg. But i'm not sure in what frame rate. do i need an SD card ? I have this link also which might be useful - http://www.arducam.com/camera-modules/2mp-ov2640/

If anyone tried and succeeded or failed in any of this attempts, I will be happy to hear. Thanks.

I got to the third page :( anyone ?

Wireless battery driven cameras are available (action cam...).

Don't try to process video streams with 8 bit Arduinos, these controllers are way too small for such data rates.

Is it possible to get let's say 2 frames per second ? i don't want to process it, just send it through the es8266 to my pc

Processing includes receiving and transmitting the video stream. The frame rate depends on the overall activity on the controller, and on the video resolution. I don't think that you want to stop your car during the transmission of every single frame.

No way arduino can give you any frame, too slow. Id use ip wireless camera. Or arduino yun connected to usb webcam.

What if i'll attach to the ov2640 a dedicated esp8266 (they work at 80mhz i believe), is it possible ?

It should be fast enough to send the image in real time in a speed of 2fps ?

EDIT: It seems that I'm not the first one that thought about connecting the esp8266 to the camera (not sure if they did it because performance reasons or not) : http://www.uctronics.com/esp8266-esp-12e-uno-board-for-arducam-mini-camera-compatible-arduino-uno-r3.html

Unfortunately this is very new and there are no reviews on it :(

Another intersting approach might be buying arduino due with 84mhz clock speed. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10sets-lot-For-Arduino-Due-2012-R3-ARM-Version-Main-Control-Board/1736339894.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.f7r53e&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_2_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_10009_10020_10008_10018_10019,searchweb201603_1&btsid=78d29cba-a1b9-4889-9519-84b05bf3a199

Will it be fast enough ?

tautau123: Just buy an wireless IP camera - This should be the simplest approach, but unfortunately I couldn't find cordless cameras, they are wi-fi but doesn't work on batteries. are you familiar with any CHEAP wifi camera that runs on batteries?

And you won't either.

Because WiFi requires a transmitter, and transmitters require power.

Your car remote works from a button battery. That's because you only operate it for a couple of seconds a day. And it transmits only a simple (albeit encoded) signal.

But you want something different - you want video. Video has a high bandwidth and you need power to send that much data.

What you should look for is FPV cameras as used on 'copters. They run on batteries.

And if it is not cheap enough for you, then tough! Thinking you can simply and cheaply do something that is already engineered and on the market but costs a little more is a very basic "noob" delusion.

PAul.
What about video on demand with a speed of 2 frames per second.
This is possible through the arduino, right ?

Hiya Tau,

The prevailing thought here is "no". An Arduino cannot broadcast live video - even at 2 frames per second, at one frame every two seconds, or any speed. Arduinos don't have the speed or memory to accomplish that. That said, an Arduino could certainly control hardware that recorded or sends video over wireless. But you will need to acquire and process that video with external hardware, it won't go through the Arduino.

First, Arduino is slow (by modern standards.) Second it has only 2K (K not meg and certainly not gig) of memory. A single frame of video needs many times more memory than this. Perhaps you can use an Arduino to work a self contained spy cam. That would take the video burden off the Arduino, and still get you your video, and you can then use the Arduino for easy control of the thing.

I understand what you are saying. This is very unfortunate

What speed do you believe is needed for this kind of operations ?

I saw that the guys at arducam did it with the esp8266 : http://www.arducam.com/arducam-esp8266-uno-board-arduino-camera/

And the arduino due has 84mhz clock speed which is very similar. What do you think about that

tautau123: I understand what you are saying. This is very unfortunate

Life, and other four-letter words, happens.

I saw that the guys at arducam did it with the esp8266 : http://www.arducam.com/arducam-esp8266-uno-board-arduino-camera/

Maybe you could rig a device that extracts the SD card and attaches it to the leg of a carrier pigeon.

What speed do you believe is needed for this kind of operations ?

About a 1GHz clock with 1GByte of memory. So it is more in the Raspberry Pi domain but that board takes about 500mA just to run.

(My) reply #8:

Paul__B: What you should look for is FPV cameras as used on 'copters. They run on batteries.

Thinking you can simply and cheaply do something that is already engineered and on the market but costs a little more is a very basic "noob" delusion.

Why must you send it through the es8266?

Like others have said, my suggestion is to get an FPV system like this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_318&products_id=3776

...And a video capture card for your PC, and you'll get 30 frames per second at the PC. If you want to do any image processing, do it on the PC. If you want the RC car to do something with the processed image, use an xbee to sent whatever relevant data you need back to the arduino.