Wireless weathercloud station

Hi guys,
I decided to make wireless weathercloud station and now im collecting necessary components. I came up with and idea to use arduino nano with connected sensors to it + esp8266 wifi module outside, and inside use leonardo with ethernet + second esp8266, receive the data from sensors and upload data using ethernet to my databse. Is it right idea or it will be better to use only nano with sensors + esp8266 module and connect it to my home wifi, and then send the data using GET request to my database? Is it possible for esp8266 to catch the data that sensors connected to nano produced and send it to database using home wifi?

Are you aware that you can use an ESP8266 without needing the nano. The Wemos and NodeMCU boards are easy to work with.

However you have not said exactly what the nano will be doing and AFAIK it has more I/O pins than an ESP8266.

Either way if the remote ESP8266 can reach your home WiFi system there is probably no need for the indoors Leonardo.

…R

Thank you for the fast reply. I will explain why using nano. The point is that my esp8266 module has only 2 IO ports, while i plan to setup 5 different sensors, which means i will lack outputs. This is why i want to connect all the sensors to nano, as well as the wifi module, and then collect the data from sensors and using esp8266 upload the data to database. Is it possible?

As you have not provided technical details about the sensors I can only guess that it should be possible.

The Wemos and NodeMCU boards with ESP8266s have more than 2 I/O pins - in case you wish to explore that option.

...R

What makes you believe an Arduino based weather station would be compatible with WeatherCloud? I don't see any mention of Arduino or other home-brewed weather stations on their Compatible Devices page.

You may be interested to see my weather station.

PaulRB:
would be compatible with WeatherCloud?

I did not know “WeatherCloud” is a thing. I assumed the OP was referring to the sky :slight_smile:

(probably another sign of advancing years)

…R

How are you going to power it?

Hi,
Have you looked at ESP32 and its many development boards?
More I/O I2C, SPI, Analog inputs.
Arduino IDE programmable.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Robin2:
I did not know "WeatherCloud" is a thing. I assumed the OP was referring to the sky :slight_smile:

(probably another sign of advancing years)

...R

Op wrote weathercloud, not WeatherCloud.
I did not read it as a proper name either.
Esp8266 has at least 8 digital I/O plus only 1 ADC pin
ADC is limited to 1 volt
ESP8266-01 does no bring all these out to pins.
Wemos mini and NodeMCU can be powered by usb

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Have you looked at ESP32 and its many development boards?
More I/O I2C, SPI, Analog inputs.
Arduino IDE programmable.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Hi Tom, i did some research and resigned from previous idea. I decided to use Wemos D1 mini pro i ordered it today, as u said it has more output pins, included esp module, an i can program it through arduino IDE. I plan to connect all my sensors to wemos, and then using built in esp8266 module send the data to database using local wifi.
pjcvdpol, I didn't decide yet. I have an electric socket on my balcony, so i can provide 24/7 energy using power supply. This is first idea, and second idea came up to catch the sensors data every 15 minutes and lauch deep sleep between the measurement, this option assumes battery energy source.

PaulRB:
What makes you believe an Arduino based weather station would be compatible with WeatherCloud? I don't see any mention of Arduino or other home-brewed weather stations on their Compatible Devices page.

You may be interested to see my weather station.

first off, check out the link from PauilRB very helpful.
as for Weathercloud and Arduino, this instructables might help Weatherloud