Wiring a manual speed switch for 3 speed ceiling fan.

This isn't an arduino question but I have alot of respect for the members of this community and thought I would ask this question here.

My wife asked me to replace a ceiling fan in our basement. The original fan was controlled by a smart switch with a dimmer for the light and a relay for the fan. I used the manual speed select on the fan itself to set the speed I wanted the fan to run at when I turn the fan on.

I the process of installing the new fan, I realized that the new fan did not have a speed select switch. The only way to control the fan speed was with the wireless remote the controls a wireless reciever box in installed in the box above the fan. I really don't want to use the fan remote to adjust the fan speed as I want to use the z-wave based smart to control it.

I only need one speed, just not max speed which is what I have right now. Is there an easy and safe way to set a fan speed to a lower speed? The wiring is pretty straight forward (HarborBreeze). Coming to the fan wireless receiver is hot and neutral. Leaving the wireless receiver are 2 wires connected up to the fan. The receiver reacts to to 4 button on the remote; off, low, medium and High. What would I need to do to remove the receiver and only have the fan run at, lets say medium speed? COuld I wire in a manual 3 speed fan controller and just set the speed once and forget it.

Appreciate any comments.

ijourneaux:
COuld I wire in a manual 3 speed fan controller and just set the speed once and forget it.

Appreciate any comments.

That would be a better approach to fiddling with Arduino’s
and you have plenty of choice off the shelf

Would something like this work? Without damaging the fan?
https://www.amazon.com/Zing-Ear-Ceiling-Control-Replacement/dp/B015VXEW9 I

t would seem to be what it is designed for.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.