Wiring Audio 3.5mm Jack to Arduino Uno

I've wired various parts to my arduino uno but with some sort of wiring guide or at least with more accurate knowledge of what each prong on said part represents. In this case i'm a little confused.
The data sheet is here If anyone has any knowledge I would love to get some! Thank you all for the assistance

What are you trying to do?

Essentially use it as an input device for audio. The software area might be a lot easier for me (i'm more of a software person).

A DVM set to resistance is one of your best friends.

You shouldn't be hooking up a 3.5mm jack straight to the Uno. AC audio signals with negative voltages are what you're feeding it.

What is your actual project?

Wire audio feed up like this:

Use one for each channel.
Or combine the two channels together thru 10K resistors and feed that to the cap.

Also you either have a 3 prong or a 5 prong. The 3 prong is just Tip, Ring, Sleeve. The 5 prong will have extra Tip and Ring pins that detect whether or not there is a plug plugged in or not. You need to do your own continuity testing if you can't just stare at it and see what connects where.

INTP:
Also you either have a 3 prong or a 5 prong. The 3 prong is just Tip, Ring, Sleeve. The 5 prong will have extra Tip and Ring pins that detect whether or not there is a plug plugged in or not. You need to do your own continuity testing if you can't just stare at it and see what connects where.

I'm using crossroads .jpg.

Mine is a 5 prong. I'll mess around a little bit and send you guys a picture of what I have and the reason I did what I did.

Below are images of how I wired it

I didn’t add the (330ohm) resister but I would add it to resist the 5V that I am going to put into it.
In addition, I have the device hovering so I can take the picture and it’s clear.

Can't see those.
Click Reply, scroll down and Attach them.

Check above! THank you sir!

Recommend you solder wires to the terminals.

2016-11-16_14-20-22.png

LarryD:
Recommend you solder wires to the terminals.

2016-11-16_14-20-22.png

You mean I solder the capacitor to the device terminals?

If you are inserting the jack into a breadboard, solder wires to the jack terminals to make sure there is a good connection.

Quick update guys.

The white wire is the wire connecting to the back singular terminal (sleeve)
The red wires are connecting to the tip and ring of one channel
The yellow wires are connecting to the tip and ring of another channel

I will then have one wire going from each new area (with resistor) going to analog (arduino uno)
For each respective channel. Does this make any sense to you guys or am I totally right now? Just messing around a little so excuse my stupidity here!

You should use standardized colors for wires. Red for ring / right channel. R, R, R, easy to remember. Green or blue for tip / left channel. Don't know why you thought white makes a good GND color.

And whatever you mean by each channel having a tip and ring, makes no sense whatsoever. Tip is one channel. Ring is another channel. That's it. Google should work in your country, and you should have just googled TRS connector a long time ago.

INTP:
You should use standardized colors for wires. Red for ring / right channel. R, R, R, easy to remember. Green or blue for tip / left channel. Don't know why you thought white makes a good GND color.

And whatever you mean by each channel having a tip and ring, makes no sense whatsoever. Tip is one channel. Ring is another channel. That's it. Google should work in your country, and you should have just googled TRS connector a long time ago.

This is just testing purposes so wiring will be fixed later on.
Anyway I did google and I got information on tip, ring, and sleeve. I got information everywhere about sleeve but I did find out that tip and ring are different channels, but since I have this 5 prong device rather than the 3 prong device I wired it the way I did. I wired it the way I did because of this datasheet schematic:

Sorry I said tip and ring going to one channel.

You aren't going to be using all 5 prongs unless you actually know why you need them.

The extra 2 prongs are simply one each for tip and ring that will have continuity with the actual tip and ring prongs when there is no plug plugged in. Unnecessary for your use. It's just confusing you.

In Reply #15, you have the resistors shorted out - all 5 contacts in a row like that are the same connection.
The resistor needs to connect to 2 rows, such as 40 & 43, 55 & 58.

Where are the two 100K resistors per channel? Those are needed to set the 2.5V level after the signal goes thru the cap.
104 is a 0.1uF cap, you may lose some signal there, a larger value cap may be needed.